Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » So is the Technicolor 3-D any good?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: So is the Technicolor 3-D any good??
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-03-2010 07:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surprising silence on this topic since it debuted. Is it good, does it suck or what? What do customers think?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-03-2010 07:32 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A super set up will yield results equal to or better than any "silver screen" digital 3d. Likewise an inadequate set up will yield less than spectacular results. We are at the mercy of the installed equipment. The certification program is supposed to reduce the lower quality results.

The process itself is superb. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-03-2010 10:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Louis completely, it's excellent quality. However when I do site surveys I will insist that a customer bring his gear up to spec before I will even send in the site survey. This usually involves the lampenhousen more than any other piece of gear. Some projectors require some work to get them steady enough, and some turret machines don't even qualify... this process requires VERY steady projectors that meet or exceed SMPTE specs because the frames are small and the magnification is very high. This is also a polarized system requiring a silver screen.

The main thing to realize here is that this process is not designed to replace digital. It's meant to be a stop gap and a temporary thing until one can afford to install digital. There's no stopping the advancing number of digital installs in North America these days.

There have been no real complaints that I know of. And thats a good thing!!

Mark

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 04:14 AM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm amazed at how low profile T3D has gone so far.
Our location is only running 2 Digital 3D Screens and could certainly use another.
Out of curiosity, i asked our tech if there were any plans for T3D at our theater, and he hadn't even heard of it yet.

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 07:50 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They don't want anytihing, the fuck, to do with it, because they have just spent a fortune on new classes on how to scrap film equipment and install digital equipment.

Digital is great for the right techs: Plenty of install, removal work, and practically no user-serviceable parts, with the writing on the warranties. The fact that all of these idiot chains are putting in 2K with 4K on the horizon means they will have plenty of scrap-re-install work with the 2K projectors in just a few years' time. . .

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 07:51 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They don't want anytihing, the fuck, to do with it, because they have just spent a fortune on new classes on how to scrap film equipment and install digital equipment.

Digital is great for the right techs: Plenty of install, removal work, and practically no user-serviceable parts, with the writing on the warranties.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-04-2010 08:38 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Smith
The fact that all of these idiot chains are putting in 2K with 4K on the horizon means they will have plenty of scrap-re-install work with the 2K projectors in just a few years' time. . .
Switching to 4K only requires a swap of the light engines on the Generation 2 projectors. I suspect many 2K light engines might even be traded back in and also upgraded to 4K DMDs.

Mark

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 09:48 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't the current 2K Barcos not upgradeable though, Mark? You'd know better than I as that is not really my area of expertise.

My understanding was that they had to be 4K-ready projectors (Was it Christie that I heard about coming out with 4K-ready 2K models?). Sony already has a 4K out though, although the 3D is disappointingly 2K from what I've read, that's 2K divided by two beamsplitters, so 1.4K each image?

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 11:47 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer your question Mike, in my opinion our 35MM install is every bit as good as our digital 3D screen. My opinion comes first hand, and there is nothing wrong with my eyes. FWIW, there are others at my complex who feel the same way.

I know a lot of people were very displeased with the way Titans was converted over. That's too bad, but it should NOT be a knock on the Technicolor process.

That said, I'm sure the studios will disagree with my assessment because we all know what their agenda is. I have heard that Katzenberg will not allow 35MM prints for Shrek. If true, that would be a shame, because it would only give us one house to present it in 3D.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 12:30 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney WILL NOT allow the T3D to be used with ANY of their movies. This is a fact. There is another company also that won't allow it, but I forgot which one. As far as the quality goes, when set up right it looks super.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-04-2010 12:44 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Smith
Aren't the current 2K Barcos not upgradeable though, Mark? You'd know better than I as that is not really my area of expertise.

All the newer series 2 Barco projectors I believe will be able to go to 4K with an upgrade.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-04-2010 01:15 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox & Disney have (as of yet) not signed an agreement with Tech. We do not know if they will or if there will be a picture-by-picture decision. In other words, no one knows.

Remember Tech3D has only been out a few weeks and already has an impressive number of installs and a large number of technicians trained. I might add; far more than digital had at the end of the first year.

Who can blame them for waiting to see what the situation is? Louis

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 01:22 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard the smaller (0.98") gen 1 Barco's are 4k compatible, but the larger ones (1.2") are not, just rumors though.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-04-2010 08:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off...ALL (NEC, Barco or Christie) of the Series 2 projectors are potentially 4K upgradable. Their circuit design/controllers...etc all all designed with 4K in mind. This is all in the TI realm.

Now as to what if they are ready, if you believe the TI noise, it will be the 1.2" machines first (I don't know if they have even rumored about the .98"). Depending on the rumor you believe, that could be in 2011 (heard at ShoWest) or 2013 (heard at NAB).

If the chips ever come out, the upgrade is supposed to be relatively minor with little more than the imagers themselves being changed. One would send the light engine back, get the upgrade and reinstall. I would presume the idea is to get some seed stock and then merely start swapping. There is also the fact that not every screen will get 4K, if available, simply because you get progressively diminished returns as one gets to the smaller screens/auditoriums.

My personal opinion, if this happens is to merely put the latest and greatest into the big theatre and moved the older system down to a smaller theatre with in the complex. As such, no money is wasted as I'm sure the upgrade will be 10s of thousands...it would be far cheaper to move the older system down.

Steve

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 09:06 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
0.98" 4K chips are a rumor. And a very unlikely product reality.

Also, the new 4K chips that are most likely coming out (eventually), are suppossed to be a bit larger than 1.2" (1.38"), so depending on zoom ranges etc, more than likely the lenses would have to be changed as well in a current series 2 1.2" installation. Life expectancy of the 4K chips: 10 years.

But I don't know for sure, as no manufactured has pre-released specs for the future offerings.

Again, upgrading to 4K an existing 2K machine doesn't make real sense, economic or otherwise, and until 4K projectors materialize, never before year's end and even then ... the whole thing is mostly vaporware designed to stop Sony from devouring the market by offering their 4K option at competitive prices against TI's four-times-fewer-pixels current stuff.

Also, a great way to obsolete the market once 4K comes out and sell a second round of projectors to theaters which should have moved to digital straight to 4K since, at least, 4K is a decent substitute for 35mm while 2K is basically THE SAME OR WORSE AS ANY $900 TV EVERYBODY HAS IN THEIR HOUSE TODAY, no matter what they say.

Before you argue, remember there are also higher end TV's in the market with resolution above HD, more contrast, higher color bith depth, faster refresh rates, 2.35 native aspect ratios, etc, etc. So no, DCI 2K is NOT clearly superior to current home techonology. At all. Much less to future home technology a couple years down the road.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: