Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » who collects vintage theatre items/equipment? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: who collects vintage theatre items/equipment?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-12-2010 02:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kevin Wheelan screening room pictures make me curious: who collects vintage cinema decorations and/or equipment? What do you have and where do you store/display it?

Personally, I have a fair amount of equipment, but it's just practical stuff, with almost nothing older than the mid 1960s. I have a red nitrate-era Neumade "safety leader box" and some old RCA Photophone and Simplex sprockets, but nothing particularly impressive or exciting. I would like to get an Automaticket machine someday, though. Oh, and I have a 16mm JAN projector, which is amazingly tank-like, but rougher on film than a modern Elmo or Eiki.

So, who collects older stuff? And what is with the people who constantly advertise in Boxoffice Magazine (and, in the past, Big Reel) for older theatre sound equipment? What do they do with it, and is it really all that much better than quality modern sound systems?

Does anyone have older decorative stuff (chandeliers, etc.) at home? Does anyone have a Wurlitzer in the basement? (Gordon Mcleod has an organ, but I don't remember if it's a full-size cinema unit or not.)

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-12-2010 02:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Eickhof, Mark Gulbrandsen!

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 02:46 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That old tube audio gear has its fans, and I recall hearing that the Japanese have a thing for old Altec speakers.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-12-2010 03:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who's an avid collector in about anything theatre/film related.

I have some old sprockets that came from Simplex Acme and Standard machines...

quote: Scott Norwood
Does anyone have a Wurlitzer in the basement? (Gordon Mcleod has an organ, but I don't remember if it's a full-size cinema unit or not.)

I have a HAMMOND Regent in my basement that I gutted out the dead electronics, added MIDI modules in its place to make a MIDI organ out of it which uses a 'virtual organ' program in my computer to accompany the playback.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-12-2010 03:02 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some Dynaco tube amps that I keep on a shelf in my office. People oh-and-ah at the tubes and of course Dynaco was famous for those shiney chrome chassis that look pretty impressive. Nice conversation starters, but other than that....

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 04:24 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! My dad has 3 Dynaco tube amp that he built in the 60's. still work to this day

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 07:46 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old woman down at your local historical society who is the one-person crusader chaining themselves to any building over 100 years old that the city wants to tear down and turn into a parking lot . . .

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-13-2010 07:43 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron; there is a piece of me that has a little respect for crazy people who "tilt at windmills." (It's dirty job. . . .) Louis

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-13-2010 10:13 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly theatre equipment, but it could be used in a theatre. A couple of weeks ago we had a message from the builders saying what's this old IT cabinet in one of the electrical risers; is it redundent, can we get rid of it?

It was an old Strowger telephone system, made by Siemens Brothers, installed in the '50s, and we think last used in 1971, but mainly out of use by 1969; nobody knew it was there. It's gone to a museum in Wales.

-

The grey metal box on the left contains the ringing machine, the wooden one on the right is a test unit. The top two rows of selectors are line finders and the bottom two rows are connectors. There are no group selectors because it's set up for two-digit numbers. It was used for internal calls only.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2010 03:07 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a guy that had a full working model of the radio city music hall stage that he built. He had a mini-christmas show complete with the wooden soldiers and laurel and hardy short. All eletro-mechanical: working curtain, screen that flew out, etc. The stage measure probably about 10 feet wide. I have alot of relics, including the super simplex, RCA 9050s and Eprad Cooperators (all working too). I have part of a marquee sign that I equipted with Red Rope light too.

Doug Eisemann
Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2010 09:28 PM      Profile for Doug Eisemann   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Eisemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize for bumping this thread, as I see it is several months old. Not to mention the fact that I have been registered at Film-Tech for years, but scarcely ever said a word since I am not directly in the cinema industry.
However my love for old technology and electronics had it's start in a theater, and I still have a deep love for any cinema equipment, new or old.
I now primarily build custom high-end vacuum tube amplifiers (Hifi, not musical instrument), but I often still restore vintage cinema and studio sound gear. Several years ago I helped a historic theater outside of Philadelphia get it's original 1937 Simplex sound system (pre Voice of the Theatre) up and running again, which it still is to this day. My own personal audio system uses Westrex tube amps as well as Klangfilm/Siemens amps taken from a cinema in Berlin.
I love this old cinema technology for it's lasting quality and beauty of engineering, regardless of whether or not it can offer the performance of what is available today.
That said, I have sort of given up collecting vintage theater sound equipment in general, as much of it sells for silly money, mainly to Asian collectors.
I am thinking I might keep my eyes open for some of the early solid-state theater sound equipment from the 1970's that seems largely ignored today. Anyone have any old Kelmar AS-whatever, or Raven systems out there?
They might not have the appeal of a tube amp, but those designs are going on 40 years at this point.

Cheers!
Doug Eisemann

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-20-2010 07:39 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the biggest collection is Keith Stata's in Kinmount Ontario

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-20-2010 09:14 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Early transistor equipment has three fates:

1. Failed and replaced since repair could not be done by "pseudo-techs".

2. Theatre closed and bull-dozed.

3. Still running 12 hours per day in the last remaining mono 8 plex in the state. (runs perfectly) Louis

Doug Eisemann
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2010 10:41 AM      Profile for Doug Eisemann   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Eisemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the fates of early transistor gear, I also have found that when this sort of gear failed, it was abandoned as "unfixable" whereas a tube amp was often repaired over and over again (sometimes quite badly, but made functional)
Solid state gear is just not generally as tolerant of out-of-spec operation, and the early stuff especially, went Poof, as capacitors and other components aged.

On another note, I just remembered a good friend of mine here in PA, who probably wishes to remain anonymous, is an avid historic film collector and has a gorgeous working Vitaphone system in his home. All equipment is orginal and museum quality. The 1931 Western Electric amp racks are still working perfectly with only minor repairs, as are the projectors and universal bases/turntable drive mechanisms etc.
Cheers!
Doug E.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2010 05:49 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a modest collection of old equipment and a large collection of manuals starting with 1900's Edison, Power's,etc. Mostly picture heads with some complete. Hard to find old vertical carbon lamps and small magazines. Lots of Simplex with a complete running front shutter Simplex serial # 1912 made in 1913.

Always looking for old stuff or helping other folks with theirs.
Dick

Gordon, Carrey Williams in Chicago probably has the most equipment. Most in storage though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: