Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Girl with Dragon Tattoo film stock (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Girl with Dragon Tattoo film stock
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-01-2010 12:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had this movie since March and now it seems to have developed a bit of a problem in reel 8, and only a short section less than 5 minutes long. The film sticks to itself and tries to pull multiple layers through the brain at the same time. Same exact symptoms as static. I have been running Filmguard on it every week since we got it.

I checked the leaders and it doesn't denote any particular film stock. Is it AGFA? I did notice a series of numbers that started with the letter A, but that's it.

|  IP: Logged

Justin B. Martin
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2010 02:41 AM      Profile for Justin B. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to rely on the reputability of IMDb's technical specs it's Kodak 2383...

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2010 11:58 AM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but sometimes if we're experiencing static i take a paper towel that's slightly damp with filmguard and rub it along the top of the film while it's sitting on the platter, one or two shows later the problem usually goes away.

Sorry you're having trouble with this print, we ran it from march until last friday and it still looked better on it's last show than some films that we've run for half that time. My manager said it must have been made out of unobtanium.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-01-2010 12:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin, I definitely do not trust the IMDB on this one.

Jason, I run the entire print through Filmguard every week, not just a simple wipe. There have always been parts of the print that act a little weird. The tail likes to stick to itself for no reason as well. There isn't much humidity in Denver. Anyway, I am applying an additional coat of FG today. Hopefully that will help. But AGFA and Filmguard are not fast friends judging by my Screenvision rolls.

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2010 12:32 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if it sounds like static or if the print is just deteriorating?

Maybe you could try one of those static-duster wipes on the platter and the top of the film to try to eliminate the cling.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-01-2010 01:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Filmguard should eliminate any such static. I'm sticking with cheap-o film stock as the cause.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-01-2010 01:21 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing you have had the print since it was new, right?

When I get prints they are used 95% of the time. As such, there are often bits of tape or stickum on the film, left over from some other monkey who put tape on where he shouldn't have or who didn't clean off his splicing tape when he broke down.

Most of the time I get prints sticking like that it is because of something sticky left on the film.

However, if you got the print new, this might not be the case for you.

But... it might do well for you to inspect that part of the print to see if some kind of foreign substance has gotten onto the print.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-01-2010 01:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, got it new. And I did inspect and found nothing unusual. When something sticky is on a print, it is more of a "hard drag" of two or more layers all going the same place at the same time. This is more like static symptoms, but oddly only in certain spots.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-01-2010 07:09 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Green" print?

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 08-01-2010 07:36 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AGFA stock numbers will be a pale amber series of characters beginning with the letters A G S printed outside the sprocket holes where the SDDS track resides, and additionally will feel more supple in the fingers. I have found AGFA stock to be of just as high a quality as Eastman and Fujicolor, with no problems with platters, muts, towers or 2000 changeover in regards to static cling or sticking... and I like the look.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-01-2010 11:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It ran fine today (for no reason, FG isn't applied until the projector). Not sure what the problem is. Why would the print have a sudden static attack when I have poured many gallons of Filmguard on it over the months?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-01-2010 11:38 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it was during a sex scene perhaps one of your operators added his DNA to the film. [evil] [sex]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-01-2010 11:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance you have a center ring/tip of leader that is making a protrusion where you tuck it into the ring? If so does it stick at that point in the revolution?

Agfa can look pretty on screen (not necessarily though), but whatever it is made out of is hell on the projectors and sprockets. I hate it. Give me Fuji for extra black blacks and hold the Agfa please.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-02-2010 12:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't tuck the tip of the leader into the center ring, we use friction, but I think I know the effect you are talking about. Or not. I'm just kind of guessing out of my ass here that I might know.

Tony, there is lots of nudity in the movie but the woman depicted onscreen is very disgusting so that cannot be the cause. It happens at the point in reel 8 where the little girl tosses a match or something in the car and it catches on fire (in tinted black and white).

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 08-02-2010 12:43 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe.
Can you see any fluid or water marking along the sprocket area of the print? A similar thing happened to me once and I traced it back to that section of the print being closely inspected on the bench..by an operator who had a cold soft drink can on the bench..right where the print fell and left swollen and sticky emulsion.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: