Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Looking for work (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Looking for work
Jonathan Wendt
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2010 11:33 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wendt   Email Jonathan Wendt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

This forum is great, everyone seems very helpful and like a great community. Wish I had found this 4 years ago when I initially became a projectionist. With that said, I'm looking for a little bit of advice. Here's my backstory:

I worked in Northern NY at three theaters, as an assistant manager and projectionist, owned by the same person. I have moved to brooklyn now, and was thinking I'd have an easy time finding work. I didn't realize there was a motion picture projectionist license until I got here. I did a quick study the night before thanks to this forum, and passed it the next day. I have dropped my resume off at many theaters but have not had much luck. I've either just missed a period of hirings, it was sent offsite to another person, or they do union only. One theater did get back to me after I had made numerous follow-ups, about a floor position with no projectionist responsibilities. The pay is also only $7.85 (which is still an upgrade from being unemployed however). My question is if I managed to find a job as a projectionist would it be reasonable to expect a more comfortable pay wage? Is it worth it to join the union? It seems like the fees are quite expensive for someone in my situation right now, but are they able to easily find you work?

Any insights you could lend would be very much appreciated. Thank you guys, and again, this is a great community.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-13-2010 12:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go talk to the I.A. Local's representitave about your question's concering joining the IATSE and what it all takes for joining the IA.

What kind of skills do you have when it comes to projection - mechanical (take a machine apart and back together blindfolded), electric/electronic, et.al., (which can earn a little respect and better pay), or, have you been relegated to just a "lace up the machine and push the button" job, for those jobs are a dime-a-dozen types and pay isn't that all healthy since a 10yr old can do that job and that's is mainly what the industry sees as a booth operator job(why they have floor managers and ushers do booth as well since the term "Projectionist" really doesn't exist anymore in any company's employment description)and there are those who want that job mainly to get off the floor (and get lazy) instead of really want to learn how the operation ticks.

If you do find a decent booth job, prepare for some tests of any sort to be allowed to operate in a correct manner that the venue requires.

Good luck in your search - Monte

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-13-2010 02:13 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The line is long in finding a projectionist job in NYC. The union might find a job here and there for you, but there is many local union operators waiting too. The chains are cutting job costs here too.

Elizabeth Betty Gross
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2010 11:22 AM      Profile for Elizabeth Betty Gross   Email Elizabeth Betty Gross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jonathan and welcome to NYC. That's the good news. The bad news (from a union projectionist being forced into retirement) is that there is very little decent work and the pay is lousy. The chains are converting to digital, so if you know that, you are ahead of the game, but the pay scale is not much better. Best advice, get a real job!

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2010 02:00 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Best advice, get a real job!
OUCH! [Roll Eyes]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-16-2010 06:55 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Betty; you sure do how to get down to the real issue! Louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-16-2010 08:59 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, she may have a point. Things are getting bad all over and jobs in this industry for more than minimum wage are very hard to come by.

I may in fact be forced to shut down my business before the end of the year if things don't improve soon.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-17-2010 10:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A well known projectionist friend in Brooklyn told me very recently that there is very little left of the NYC Projectionists Union. What little is left means running multiple screens and or locations.

Mark

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2010 07:07 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The School Of Visual Arts Theatre on West 23rd in Chelsea may be looking for a projectionist or assistant technical director (my former position until I moved back to Boston to open my own taxi company there) You might try calling them and asking for the technical director. If you have any live sound, lighting, or video experience they may be interested in meeting you.

Elizabeth Betty Gross
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 12:47 PM      Profile for Elizabeth Betty Gross   Email Elizabeth Betty Gross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The School Of Visual Arts Theatre on West 23rd in Chelsea may be looking for a projectionist or assistant technical director (my former position until I moved back to Boston to open my own taxi company there) You might try calling them and asking for the technical director. If you have any live sound, lighting, or video experience they may be interested in meeting you."

Also, experience with high profile film screenings, film festivals, multimedia exhibition, set-up and breakdown, equipment maintenance etc, and just a smattering of diplomacy. And they pay WHAT???

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 01:06 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Elizabeth Betty Gross
Also, experience with high profile film screenings, film festivals, multimedia exhibition, set-up and breakdown, equipment maintenance etc, and just a smattering of diplomacy. And they pay WHAT???
They don't have platters so no build-up break down but changeover experience is good, actually I got paid very well. twice as much as I made as a service tech.

Jonathan Wendt
Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2010 01:11 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wendt   Email Jonathan Wendt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sean, thanks for the tip! I do have experience with those things, so I left a voicemail at the number of a Mr. Michael Morrissey, who was listed as the technical director on the SVA webpage. Here's hoping I get a reply!

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2010 02:06 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Morrissey is a great guy to work for, and he really knows his stuff. I miss working with Mike. Good luck on the job!

Elizabeth Betty Gross
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2010 06:40 PM      Profile for Elizabeth Betty Gross   Email Elizabeth Betty Gross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck and let us know how it goes - a decent booth job in NY is truly good news for all.

Jonathan Wendt
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2010 07:37 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wendt   Email Jonathan Wendt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Mr. Morrissey mentioned above actually did get back to me a couple hours later! We've set up an interview for monday, so that's where I'm at right. Now. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: