Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Information Needed on legality issue (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Information Needed on legality issue
Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 02:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,
It has been a seriously long time since my last post but My life has had a few curves. For one I am no longer working at any type of theatre anymore. For that matter I am not working at all. But frankly I have funds saved up and am in no peril at this time. Just having fun.
I was surfing the web last night looking for a gift for my anniversary when I came upon a certain auction web site selling 35mm film trailers. Is this legal??? Most were old trailers but some were as recent as Avatar. If it is legal I might go back to my old boss and ask for a few to help with some side income or at the least tell him I will split the profits somehow. Honestly I don't see how this is right with copyright issues and the such but as their were aprox 1400 listings I just have to ask if anyone here knows of any concrete legal issues that would prevent the sale of these items.

|  IP: Logged

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 03:50 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebay did have a policy against selling Prints and Trailers a few years ago.

I believe it's illegal.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 04:08 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shucks I have bought 5 reel prints off Ebay, legal? I dunno.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-23-2010 04:39 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've reported those auction to distributors several times. Never got any answers.
Reported to the auction website, they told me it is ok...

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-23-2010 04:45 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall having this discussion before. I think the legal out is - if the trailer or film was "disposed of" then it is ok to sell. Theoretically, the distrib could ask for it back, but they don't ever want it.

The distributor still owns the copy and exhibition right, so no public showings without paying the exhibition fee.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-23-2010 04:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The property is owned by the studios, but they don't want it, so unless you open a gigantic Trailers-R-Us store on eBay, the chances are you would never have a problem. (And if you did, just change the name of your store!) [Big Grin]

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 07:55 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If staff are taking out trailers and other studio-owned material from their workplace to sell on eBay it would worry me what else they could be taking.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-23-2010 08:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not a copyright issue...the copies were generated by the copyright holder.

The only issue is the property and possible public display of the copyrighted material. The property issue is who owns the film? How did it come to be in the seller's possession? (in a legal sense, are they selling stolen goods). Once the trailer is sold, legally or otherwise...then the presentation of the images on that trailer become another issue. Since trailers are designed to be shown to the general public anyway, it would be hard for the copyright holder to really restrict it...unlike the feature, the ticket one bought to see the movie did not come with any express contract to see any particular trailer...in a sense the copyright holder put it out there (heck, they show them for free on studio web sites now...so anyone could get it that way).

Steve

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 09:18 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should also be pointed out, however, that to make a case, the studio in question has to prove that the item in question was stolen in the first place, which is trickier than it seems.

In all likelihood, however, given the enormous amount of trailers being sold on eBay on a daily basis, no one gives a crap.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 09:55 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailers that are not recycled by placing in the film cans are often trashed. The person placing the item on sale could claim he found it in the theater's dumpster. Granted, this does not entitle him to SELL it but might cover the accusation he stole the print.

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 10:34 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see them selling for much at all, if they even sell at all.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-23-2010 11:41 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As already mentioned, auctioning, selling or renting 35mm trailers has nothing to do with copyright protection of the material on those trailers. The copyright law protects from COPYING. And EXHIBITION, not the transfer of the material carrying that copyright material. The issue here is only one of chain of ownership of the physical entity -- the film itself; it has no more to do with copyright than it would if the film were a roll of unexposed leader. Just as copyright material such as the images from a feature film in a newspaper ad in no way gives the copyright owner of that image any claim over the newspaper from being sold or (if there were such a market) rented or auctioned on ebay.

The question here is not one of copyright, but one of the chain of OWNERSHIP, and that is regulated by a number of property statues which may be different from state to state and even from municipality to municipality, but in general the key issue is that of abandonment of property. In most states, if property is abandoned (the owner throws an item in the garbage, for example), then ownership is lost. If for some reason there is a question of abandonment -- a bicycle is left in a public park for example -- the owner would have to show intent by taking some reasonable action to recover the item or show his intent is to retain ownership. If he knows who took that bike, he would ask to have it returned and upon a dispute, would call the police; he would make it clear he never intended to abandon that property.

The industry's long-term established practice makes it quite clear, and this would certainly come into play, that studios never intend to retrieve ownership of trailers. Unlike film prints where they do retrieve them and have them band-sawed to effectively prevent ownership from transferring to other parties, with trailers, the pattern has long been established that these items are routinely discarded with rarely any action taken by the owners to retrieve their property. Historically, these items are abandoned; the owners have let theatres discard them as they will without requests to have them returned or instructions as to what else should be done with them. It is well-established and everyone knows that for decades theatre routinely dump trailers in the garbage to be carted off to local dumps.

At this stage of the game, for studios to claim they have all along wanted to retain ownership would be a very hard case to win. For them to claim the items were stolen would be even more ludicrous. Did any studio ever make a report to any police authority naming the property had been stolen? In terms of ownership, it is quite clear that trailers, which after all are advertisements, are trashed after use. On the rare occasion there have been cases where a studio has demanded trailers be returned for example, Fox/Lucas's required the STAR WARS trailers be returned and then took definitive action to retrieve them if they were not. This simply shows by contrast that that was the exception where normally the studios did not take any action regarding having trailers returned, knowing full well that they were being trashed and that effectively is property abandonment.

So since the demise of National Screen Service, the industry commonly treats trailers as nothing other than disposables. And the protection afforded by the copyright law cannot be invoked as a means of impacting ownership rights.

This by no means will prevent copyright owners from making whatever claims they wish, and in fact, it is such unfounded claims by the studios that prompted ebay to make the rule against auctions or sales of 35mm films or trailers. It was quite obvious at the time that ebay simply capitulated to the noise some legal department at Universal made about a trailer auction, not because they studio had any legitimate claim via copyright to stop sales, but rather ebay just didn't want to hassle with such entanglements with a huge corporate entity.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-24-2010 06:49 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For whatever it's worth, most pre-1970 trailers are PD. They can be freely copied, exhibited, and broadcast.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-24-2010 12:32 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, but that's the compilation and arrangement -- but the individual image from a single frame is from the film and so they will still claim those INDIVIDIAL images are still covered by copyright. And as we have seen over and over again, studios will clain copyright protection where there isn't any. The Chaplin estate notoriously claims copyright control on works that were created BEFORE the copyright law was enacted. And the thing is, very few want to take on a challenge to them when it costs so much in legal fees to do so.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-24-2010 01:01 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another interesting adjunct to this is ownership (or perhaps possession of would be the better term) partial or complete prints that are used for evaluation or testing purposes only. My understanding is that the studios don't really mind as long as the media is not screened publicly or "for profit".

"For profit" can mean ANY goods or money exchanged before, during or after the screening. Someone bringing you a six-pack or a candy bar can be considered as "for profit."

I agree fully with Frank's earlier post that trailers are advertising material and by that implication fully public domain.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: