Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cleaning a oily print

Author Topic: Cleaning a oily print
Robert Carnino
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 05:25 PM      Profile for Robert Carnino   Email Robert Carnino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting a print tonight that I have been told is very oily form the theatre it is running at now. Any ideas on how to clean it without having a film cleaner? Thanks!!

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-23-2010 06:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't have a film cleaner, the only way you can do it, really, is to clean it by hand.

Put it on the bench winder and wipe it with something soft and clean that won't scratch. Sometimes I use a clean film glove but anything dust and scratch free will work.

You can probably do this while you build it up. Just wind a reel and wipe as you go. Make the splice for the next reel and wipe as the next reel spins on.

Just remember to go slowly. Probably about half speed.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-23-2010 09:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And change the wiping cloth VERY frequently.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 09:12 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy yourself some Webril pads, and a tin of Naptha or Toluene from your local hardware store and get a-crackin'.

When you do this, do it in a WELL VENTILATED area, with protective gloves. The last thing you need is to pass out or to have this stuff be ingested through the skin.

Robert Carnino
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 09:26 PM      Profile for Robert Carnino   Email Robert Carnino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-23-2010 11:49 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the oil show on the screen; does it mar the image? If it's not harming presentation, why should you clean it for the distributor? And if you decide to do so, then send the distributor a bill for the work. If your theatre management has a set of stainless steel balls, it should deduct a fair price for film cleaning labor and materials right off the top of the overage and fight that battle after the fact should it come up. [evil]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-24-2010 11:06 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, like he'd ever have a chance of winning THAT battle.

I think that an oily print should be cleaned if possible to prevent all that crud from getting into the machine. It doesn't matter if presentation is affected by the oily-ness or not.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-24-2010 11:16 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I knew it was oily I'd probably wipe it as I built it up, regardless of its visibility on the screen.

It just keeps all the crap from building up and getting all over your projector, your equipment, the bench and anything else it touches. A few extra minutes of attention at the beginning can save you hours of cleanup at the end of the day.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-24-2010 12:55 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have cringed at the suggestions in this thread...unless you REALLY know what you are doing, attempts to hand-clean a print on a bench WILL result in scratches and damage. (Don't ask how I found this out.. [Smile] )

You have to go VERY slow (less than half-speed) and stop frequently to inspect your cleaning pad...even then there is a chance for damage.

BTW, Webril wipes SHED like crazy and you will end up with fine fibers all over the film and big chunks of fibers at any nicks or splices.

In reality you could easily spend upwards of FOUR hours to try to hand-clean a 90 minute film. (More if the film is longer.)

There is only one reasonably safe way to attempt to clean this print in the booth...invest in a dry media cleaner and Film-Guard media and run it DRY to soak up as much oil as possible.

Otherwise the print needs to be professionally cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner.

Having said all that, in 29 years of running film I have encountered many oily prints, some almost literally dripping wet, and yes there is a visible difference, but you need to weigh that vs. the damage you WILL cause if you try to clean the print by hand.

Only sure thing to do is try to pre-screen the print and evaluate how bad it is.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2010 05:40 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the years I've used Webril pads for hand cleaning, I've never had a print scratch on me, and I'm pretty anal about that sort of thing. It's all about keeping the pad soaked, and changing it out when dirt starts to accumulate (and if you use the woven side, you have little to no shedding).

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-25-2010 10:33 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'Know, Tony, you're right. When I get prints that are crapped up like that it's always a tough call what to do with them. You really can't tell until you get the print into your possession and look at it.

Often, when I get a print that is really dirty or oily or otherwise messed up I just sit there and look at it and think for a few minutes. Usually accompanied by a long sigh.

If the print is really dirty or oily but you don't have a film cleaner, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do in order to get it to run well.

Weigh the pros and cons. Decide if the oil is bad enough to cause trouble. Take the course of action you think is best. Be careful in whatever solution you chose. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

I guess, when other people ask these kinds of questions, I assume that other people see the situation the way I do. I expect others to take the solutions I propose and think about them and apply a bit of common sense.

That's why, when I answered, I said, "If you don't have a film cleaner, the only think you can do is...." Then I topped it off with, "Go slow," and "Be careful."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: