Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A-B Chain with software and laptop?

Author Topic: A-B Chain with software and laptop?
Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2010 04:56 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if any of the oscilloscope software out there is useful enough to actually use with a laptop to do A-B chain adjustments? I had hoped to pick up one of the new tablets coming out for a portable and easy way to do checks. I'm guessing that using something like an iPad is out since 1) It's apple and 2) There really aren't any inputs to speak of, but HP and other companies are coming out with similar devices. I think there is one coming out based on the Android system as well. My phone has an RTA (android), but I'm not sure how accurate or useful it is. I just got the free trial to look at it. Any ideas? Suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Rodrigo Martins
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2010 10:55 PM      Profile for Rodrigo Martins   Email Rodrigo Martins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AudioTools from StudioSixDigital with iAudioInterface is a very serious set. Works with iPhone and iPad. I used to work with SIA SmaartLive on a Mac and now I can do the very same job with this set.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-20-2010 06:50 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget about the D2 analyzer. It has all of the scope functions you need for an A-Chain as well as the best B-chain tool for cinemas.

-Steve

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-20-2010 09:52 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is the d2 fast enough to align an sr-d reader?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-20-2010 01:15 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one but have never used it for this.
Don't think it's fast enough and I have an alternative or two.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-20-2010 01:27 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i asked because i had a fancy digital tektronix scope - i liked it for its portability because back then i was constantly traveling for work - but it wasn't fast enough for sr-d alignment - in the end, we purchased an analog scope for each remote site

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-20-2010 01:35 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, even the most basic phosphor screen analog scope works better than digital apps. for some purposes.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-20-2010 01:45 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can snag a used Tektronic scope for $100 on eBay if you look around. It'll do everything you want it to do. You can't beat that price with a stick! [Wink]

What's the iPhone app cost compared to a used scope?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2010 01:47 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to carry around this Abacus

ARTA 600 Audio Analyser

The ARTA 600 is a 30-band one-third-octave audio spectrum analyser adapter that uses a separate oscilloscope as a display. Uniquely, it permits the frequency response to be viewed at the same time as the relative phase (azimuth) of the left and right input signals.
Manufactured between 1980 and 1994 it was used by cinema sound installers around the world.

Yes it was a pain to carry my scope, analyser, tools, laptop, any parts I was replacing. But it got the job done.

quote: Manny Knowles
fancy digital tektronix scope
An ASC tech had one and I didn't like it, I tried using it during one install and gave it back, it was a pain in the ass to work with.

Rick
Hamilton Technical Services

Please be advised you must destroy this message after you read it, otherwise I will sue your ass!

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2010 12:13 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please be advised you must destroy this message after you read it, otherwise I will sue your ass!
Too funny dude [thumbsup]

I picked up a couple of these on EBay for about 100.00 a pop.
Leader LBO-325 - 60Mhz Oscilloscope
These are very small and work well for A chain analog and digital alignment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: