Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP-650 Slow Startup / slow booting

Author Topic: Dolby CP-650 Slow Startup / slow booting
Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2010 02:19 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Evryone !

we exeperienced some problems wit one of our Dolby CP 650 processor: When is powered up, i take really long time (more thant 30 seconds) to boot up and loadin the software and be operative. In our other theaters the loading of the software is really quick. I'm afraid that one of those days the processor will no boot up at all.
Did someone experienced the same problem and found out a solution to solve this problem of slow booting ?
Regards at alls
Jean-Michel

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-29-2010 02:20 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think in most of mine it takes nearly a minute. I timed it once, but I forgot the result as it really wasn't that important.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2010 02:28 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the processor boots what firmware is it showing that it boots in? Are all your processors loaded with the same firmware? Long boot times really mean nothing. Have you seen how long it takes for a Dolby DSS server to boot [Eek!]
Demetris

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-29-2010 06:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, the more option boards (e.g. Cat 790 for EX and AES audio) the longer it take. So CP650-SRs boot the fastest...the the CP650Ds with the full CP650 and the CP650XO taking the longest.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-29-2010 01:00 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both of my CP-650's at UC Irvine time at between 75-90 seconds to boot up, and they have the CAT790's in them.

That is why they are on a UPS and stay on 24/7. [Big Grin]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-29-2010 04:26 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, 30s is pretty normal in my opinion. Actually I think it's very fast! [Smile]

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2010 01:43 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Again,
Thanks for YOur answers. So I took a chronograph to measure how long the DOlby CP 650 take to booting:
-When power is applied, The CP650 show a "blank" lcd display for more 3 minutes and 20 seconds. After it start to load the software (v.2.1.9.0) and it becomes operational after 4 minutes.
In comparaison, the others Dolby CP-650 processors that we use in ours multiplexes takes less than 1 minute to complete booting !
All are fitted with the same Cat 773 card, and with the same software version.
So I got really a problem with this equipment...

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-01-2010 05:16 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that is not good! [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-01-2010 06:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking power supply...with the time things are taking...some rail is not coming up. Whatever it is, it isn't normal, what you are describing.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-01-2010 06:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
they are on a UPS and stay on 24/7
Is it better to leave it on? We turn ours off every day.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-01-2010 06:54 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steve, willing to bet either the power supply is going bad or perhaps a bad connection from the power supply...better to get it looked at and fixed before the supply fails and damages something.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Is it better to leave it on? We turn ours off every day.
As for the CP-650, I can honestly say the jury is still out on that..but I have CP-650's (and CP-500's) in screening rooms that stay on 24/7 and as of at least 5-6 years worth of experience, no failures. And the CP-65 I pulled from HIB 100 at UC Irvine was on 24/7 for 12 years with no failures.

All amplifiers at HIB 100 stay on 24/7 and only one USA 900 had ever failed. When I worked for Knott's Berry Farm here in So. Cali. they left all audio gear on 24/7 and we rarely had breakdowns.

The theory is that the stress of turn-on (both electrical and thermal) is a lot harder on the gear than leaving it on.

And for items that need to boot up (Like CP-650/750/500) and D-Cinema servers, it is probably better to leave them on..especially since it saves time on start-up.

But you should have a good UPS or at least a quality surge strip on ANY sensitive gear that is left powered up.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2010 02:50 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for Your replies.
I checked all the voltages at the test points and all voltages are correct. But I noticed a weird behaviour of the CP-650: When the unit is powered for the first time at the opening of the theater, he need very long time to boot up. If, after +/- 20 minutes of work, I disconnect the power line and switched on again after a short while, the processor boot immediatly occurs.
I started to think that a false contact in the connection of the cards could be the sources of the problem. I disconected the Dolby processor, I pulled it out of the rack and opened it off to access the board.
At first, I cleaned the plugs of the power supply with a contact cleaner spray, cleaned up the inside appliance with dust air (It was full of dust)
I slightly pulled out the cards, and re-pushed it in place, to "clean" the contact points on the main board
I remount the processor inside the rack, reconnected all the cables, and powered the dolby.
On first try, the Processor has booted up very quickly, but on nexts attemps, the dolby need a long time to boot up again.
I checked again the error log, but no message was displayed on the LCD screen and on my portable PC too. So I stay with my issue and got no ideas where I have to search. Any help is welcome
Best regards,
Jean-Michel Grin

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-07-2010 11:55 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar failure and eventually replacing the PSU did the job.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: