Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP 650 Non-sync 1 audio input issue (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby CP 650 Non-sync 1 audio input issue
Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2010 02:34 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again !
recently one of my colleague wanted to connect a cd player to the Non-sync 1 input of the dolby CP 650 cinema processor. But no sound get out... So at first, we checked first the connection audio cable and the format assignment to the softkey U1. everything seems correct. So i opened the processor to check if a connection was broken on the printed board, but everything was fine too. Maybe a electronic fautly card ? How I can check this problem ?
Thanks for Your help.
Jean-Michel

|  IP: Logged

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2010 02:49 AM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could check the Non-Sync level in the install mode.

If you open the drop down panel on the front and flick up switch number 6 that will put it into install mode.

If you then scoll through the menu you should find the Non-Sync 1 level if it is on 0 that may be your problem.

I am sorry but I don't know if they are delivered with any preset default for the Non-Sync 1 level, but you could check it all the same.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2010 02:49 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Non-Sync 1 is usually preasinged at the NS button on the front panel of the CP650. There is an audio level gain for the nonsync inputs in the Dolby software or menu which is accessible via a special method. I never found any CP650 with an inoperative non-sync input.
Demetris

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2010 02:56 AM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Format on the NS button is 60

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-29-2010 02:58 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you trying to use format 60 or 75 on the soft key U1. Is there a reason that you are not using the NS button? it's Default is format 60 but can be changed to 75 to offer a matrixed stereo with subwoofer.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-29-2010 01:03 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your display carefully when you select the format..it is possible that someone programmed Non Sync 2 into that button.

It is very easy to re-assign and you do NOT need to play with the switches to do it...scroll thru the MENU options to change button assignments and be sure to press the OK button when you have the settings you want.

WARNING: Do NOT make any changes while a show is running as the sound may cut out momentarily during the save operation.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2010 02:07 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
push the "play" button on the CD player [Razz]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-30-2010 05:53 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
push the "play" button on the CD player [Razz]
That made me laugh as I did a similar thing during the UC Irvine HIB 100 upgrade (see the pics in the warehouse) with my CP-650.

As I was integrating things on a gradual basis while still running shows, I had to run a DVD and had no sound. After a lot of head scratching and cussing I remembered I had disconnected the audio from the N/S inputs so I could play my iPod while working on the system earlier that same day. DOH!! [Roll Eyes]

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2010 01:35 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all !
Thanks for Your replies, I had already checked if the equipment was right connected and the CD player was in "play" mode. (In this case, it was a DVD player for a video presentation) For more clarity I will explain You how the system is setup:
-On non-sync 2 input we got the BGM line who come from a cetralized music mp3 player. this input is assigned with format 61 to the "NS" softkey.
-The format 62 is assigned to the U2 softkey, for PA announcement trought the surround speakers with a microphone connected to the mic input at the rear of the processor.
-The non-sync input 1 is assigned to the U1 softkey with the format 75 (Prologig decode w/ sub). Here I get no sound.
-I checked the input level preset, the configuration and even I tried to assigna different source, like a film format or the internal test tone, and here it's work.
So I think tha we got a defective hardware component inside this dolby.
If someone experienced the same trouble, it will be very helpfull.
Thanks for Your answers, and apologyzes for my weak English !
Best regards.
Jean-Michel

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2010 02:20 AM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, do come back and let us know how you get on with the problem, especially if you solve it.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-01-2010 12:55 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Michel, did you try using another dvd player or cd player in that N/S 1 input?

Another thing to check is on the dvd player itself, in your setup menus, some dvd players will not output 2 channel audio to the left/right jacks if an option of "2-Ch downmix" or "Stereo downmix" or something of that same effect is not selected.

It is very unlikely to have a CP-650 hardware problem without affecting the other N/S input.

Speaking of which, did you try the dvd player in the N/S 2 input? (Or try putting your BGM into N/S 1.)

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2010 01:09 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All

Of course we tried to swap the non-sync BGM audio source and the DVD player audio output between the two non-sync inputs of the CP 650. But it still without sound. So for the moment, to play the sound of the DVD player, we disconect the BGM and connect the other source in place.
So I think that we got an hardware problem. Next week I will take a laptop to check the Log of the processor. Perhaps I could discover what's wrong...
Thanks all for your advices and ideas. Best regards.
Jean-Michel

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-02-2010 02:46 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our RCA connectors were very hard to unplug from our 650's. One of our projectionists tried to twist the connector while pulling it off but eventually the 650's RCA connector twisted as well, snapping the internal connections.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-30-2012 12:43 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 484 days since the last post.

Bob Ezra
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2012 12:43 AM      Profile for Bob Ezra   Email Bob Ezra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so how was this fixed? I have the left non-sync 1 outputting to the left channel and nothing coming out of the right...seems like a loose or disconnected right input jack.

thanks

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: