Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS XD-10 Program Error

Author Topic: DTS XD-10 Program Error
Andy Linde
Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2010 08:48 PM      Profile for Andy Linde   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Linde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with one of our DTS XD-10 units running on a 35mm projector with Strong Automation & Dolby CP65 sound processor. As it goes to flip into DTS from Dolby A (from trailers to feature) the message "Program Error. Player Disabled." appears on the screen and the DTS unit switches off without reverting back to A. This only happens for the one unit, and doesn't happen every session. Turning the unit off and then back on fixes the solution and it pops back into DTS as soon as it picks up the timecode. Any theories, or fixes?

Much appreciated!!!

Andy

|  IP: Logged

V.V.Tushit Vijay
Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2010 09:35 PM      Profile for V.V.Tushit Vijay   Email V.V.Tushit Vijay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ande
Check your XD10 was updated with latest version software. If your software version is old you get such problems. Now the latest version running was 2.1.07 .

Good luck

Andy Linde
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2010 12:28 AM      Profile for Andy Linde   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Linde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All our DTS units are running 2.1.07 including the one in question.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-01-2010 09:32 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that your ram is going south i have had several dts units that the memory gets flaky and they act up in weird ways

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-01-2010 05:18 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to fully reinstall the unit before thinking of an hardware issue. If I remember correctly there is a way to format the HD and you then need a full install disk to reinstall everything. You may want to save the settings before do that.

Andy Linde
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2010 01:15 AM      Profile for Andy Linde   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Linde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An update on this topic: We're still having this problem. It is never with a specific film and still only on the one DTS unit.

The new thing is that the DTS crashed mid-session the other day for the first time with the same notice "Program Error - Player Disabled".

Management knows of the issue and have knows for a while but aren't fixing it, so I'm going to try myself. PLease help (still)!

Thanks

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-04-2010 05:11 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've already given you my idea, did you try it?

Andy Linde
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2010 05:26 AM      Profile for Andy Linde   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Linde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco, I'd probably get my head chopped off for reinstalling the unit! Management doesn't like people doing their own thing. They still maintain that they will eventually fix it.

ALSO, being a novice with DTS I have no idea how to reinstall the unit. Is it simple? Perhaps I could do it and they would never know?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-07-2010 01:40 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see.
forgive me for the silly question, but if you don't want to do anything because you're concerned that something you can't fix could happen, why are you asking for help?

If you are looking to something easy like using a menu, I don't think you're gonna find it. I reckon the first step would be a complete software reinstall, and then to put your hands inside the unit as Gordon suggests.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-07-2010 08:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,

You're the only person on earth I've known to have RAM fail in a DTS! On the XD-10 always reload the OS first and if that fails to clear up the problem then try a new hard drive with a fresh load... all these are easily done. I actually carry an already loaded hard drive in my service vehicle....

Mark

Andy Linde
Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2010 03:44 AM      Profile for Andy Linde   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Linde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback. Can anyone tell me how to reinstall the OS?

I do want to fix this, its just that I'm not supposed to, but its driving all the projectionists crazy. Perhaps if I get a list of solutions and how to carry them out and present them to management I might get somewhere. I'll try anything.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-09-2010 09:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea... You can actually download the ISO image from the Filum-Tech manuals section and then burn a disk. PLace the disk in the A drive tray and rebooth the unit. It's all automatic from there. When it's done cookin the drawer will open and you take the disk out and recycle the power again. This is a 3.5 gig down load so find some place that has a sooper doper T-3 connection er something similar.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-09-2010 10:11 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

Forgive me for the intrusion but it may not be so easy.
Firstly, the software on film-tech is not up to date. The latest version, according to datasat web is 2.2.02 and FT hosts 2.00.43.

Then, it would be better to save the settings just in case something went wrong. Andy says he's not a tech and if anything went lost during the upgrade he won't be able to restore it.

I remember there was a "save setting" disk somewhere but I do not remember where. It was necessary when moving from 1.xx to 2.xx or something like that. Or was it a menu item?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: