Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS and 70mm

Author Topic: DTS and 70mm
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2010 01:08 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

So whats the official deal with running DTS for 70mm? The museum up-here might be willing to install it, what do they need? which model processor, what mods, and can you still buy 70mm readers.

It will be inputted into a Dolby CP200, the projectors are Vic 8's

Thanks,

PG

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-01-2010 02:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The basic all you need is the readers which i beleive are still available
If you want to do the toddao 6 track then the 2 extra DA chips ( and needs to be a 6D or XD10) are needed and the cable harness modified for P and Q to be Lc and Rc respecively
If you have a CP200 that is easy to do on the breakout relay board
THey did recomend using 2 players in tandem for backup failasfe and made a switching board for it

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2010 10:21 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy to report that Datasat 70mm is alive and well: we recently finished work on a restored 70mm West Side Story, and have another potential project in the hopper I can't really talk about yet.

70mm readers are available, and both the current player (XD20) and its immediate predecessor (the XD10) are 8-channel units out of the box, meaning they can easily play back the standard old-school 70mm tracks (5 stage channels + mono surrounds). If you opt for an old DTS-6D or DTS-6AD you will need to make sure they are full 6-channel units with the extra APTX chip.

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2010 06:33 AM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Daniel, your post is a little breath of fresh air in a now boring digital projection world. I wonder what the other project is? Samsara perhaps? [Smile]

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2010 07:54 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel,

How do I even find a price on the 70mm readers?, the DTS website has nothing on regarding film based processors or readers anymore.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2010 08:33 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul, DTS film sound division is now Datasat Digital Entertainment. linky

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-04-2010 09:58 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theatrical side of DTS was spun off as a separate company a couple or so years back. The main DTS website concentrates on home-related surround sound (Blu-ray/DVD, music CD, games, etc.).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: