Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mysterious Sound Dropout

Author Topic: Mysterious Sound Dropout
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-05-2010 08:32 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby 650, Kelmar basement readers.

Film has a damaged digital track, so reverted to SR

About 10 mins into the film the sound looses most of the volume and most of the depth. Sounds like it is running through the Center horn only.

All amps are lit and indicating on. The sound was bad in the monitor, so not a speaker problem. 650 meter shows all channels are working, and we are getting faint sound out of the LR on the monitor, though had to boost the volume to 9+. After about 10 mins, sound pops back on and all is well (so far).

We've been running the print since Saturday and haven't had this problem. Any suggestions as to where to look for a cause, and possible tests to replicate it?

|  IP: Logged

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2010 09:15 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of damage does the film have? If it's sprocket damage, it's possible that the film was thrown slightly off the path. That could also explain why it's not happening every time.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-05-2010 09:27 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would guess the LED current is dropping from a bad power supply perhaps so your Dolby Level is no longer anywhere near correct. This would cause the Noise reduction to mistrack severely and explain the weird sound.

I would run a loop before the show and set the level and again at the next opportunity after the show without switching off the reader LED. Just a guess though.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-05-2010 10:06 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sprocket damage, just scratching and worn Dolby track.

Would the bad power supply just go out suddenly then come back on?

Marty Carr
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2010 11:11 PM      Profile for Marty Carr   Email Marty Carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier Kelmar power supplies have a problem of over heating at the plug connection. This will cause the problem your are having. i have changed out a lot of these boards over the years. Open up the power supply and you can see the darkness around the plug.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-06-2010 01:09 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had that issue with all the kelmar supply's

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-06-2010 09:34 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So have I. The soldering came undone where the connector is attached to the board.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-06-2010 01:14 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No visible signs of burning anywhere I can see without removing the unit.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-06-2010 01:27 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They didn't "look" burnt, but the soldered connection became intermittent and the levels were way off.

Here's a blast from the past:

Blast from the Past

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-06-2010 06:20 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are right. The power supply that goes intermittent supplies the preamp board on the basement reader. You won't know you have this problem if the digital is running. Likewisr both LEDs look OK. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: