Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor 3D Lens Alignment

Author Topic: Technicolor 3D Lens Alignment
Byron Berkley
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2010 01:06 PM      Profile for Byron Berkley   Email Byron Berkley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone had experience with aligning the new Technicolor 3D lens? If so, do you have any written details that you'd like to share with us?

|  IP: Logged

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2010 01:52 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Byron,

The theatre is not allowed to align its own lens. It must be aligned by a Technicolor 3-D certified installer, otherwise T3D won't release prints to that theatre. I haven't seen anyone claiming that ability here, so you may not get much in the way of relevant replies.

-David

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-09-2010 10:22 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a limit to what we can divulge, since there is a non disclosure agreement signed by the techs.

Besides, you will never have a lens without a certified tech. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-09-2010 11:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can tell you this without violating the non-disclosure I signed... The lens comes with test film. After the install is complete I always instruct the head projectionist how to run the test loop and verify proper performance and to notify me if it's not dead on. I reccomend they run the test loop at the start of each day. This can ensre maximum 3-D performance out of the system. There are a few locations I service where they must change their own lens on occasion to go from 3-D to 2-D and back as seamless as possible. BTW: DP-70 is the absolute best when changing out this lens and has absolute repeatable accuracy without fiddling around!! Sheer mass pays off this time....

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2010 09:47 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Byron can share what exactly he wants to know. Changing the lens back and forth (3d to 2d and vice versa) and getting properly "aligned" in that case is very easy. Byron to you have a technicolor 3d lens?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-10-2010 12:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: Mike has a heavily modified XL projector. The lens mount is slotted and does not use a lens ring. Exact focus/azimuth is guaranteed every time. Louis

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2010 08:06 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was my great touch!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-12-2010 04:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Mike has a heavily modified XL projector.
Thats all nice and fuzzy Louis but the majority of T3D installations are probably in X-Ls that do not have beefed up lens mounts. The X-L has one of the worst lens mounts in existance for drop in repeatability... the only worse one that comes to mind is the Ballantyne. Nothing to modify on the DP-70 to get it to do that... the repeatability is built into the sheer mass.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: