Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Couple of basic questions about 70mm DTS readers

Author Topic: Couple of basic questions about 70mm DTS readers
Brian Rose
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 10:10 AM      Profile for Brian Rose   Email Brian Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a couple of questions about DTS readers, relating to the 70mm type. I'm a newb to it, so I hope you'll forgive my ignorance! [Smile]

1) On a projector that already has a 35mm DTS reader, is it possible to simply swap out the 35, and mount the 70 in its place?

2) Is the 70mm reader dual format, that is, can it handle 35 as well, or is it dedicated to a single format necessitating separate readers?

Thanks guys for the help. You have been SO HELPFUL in my efforts to revitalize 70mm in my home town!

Best,

BR

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-27-2010 10:56 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you already do a search on here for "DTS 70" ?

Brian Rose
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 11:56 AM      Profile for Brian Rose   Email Brian Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I did, and I read some about break away plates, and switching from 35 to 70, but I also read of a 70/35 DTS reader, so I wasn't sure if such a thing actually existed, or if it was a misstatement. I suspect I'll have to switch between them, but I thought I'd ask.

BR

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-27-2010 01:30 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brian:

Answers to your questions are:

1) Yes. Two screws and the cable and adding spacers to the screws (supplied by DTS) for the 35mm reader and you're good to go.

2) I am not aware of any "combination" reader, not to say it doesn't exist but I haven't heard of one.

To expand on it:

The bracket is mounted to the projector and aligned to the film path using the 70mm reader. When you need to use the 35mm reader you add the two spacers between the reader and bracket to stand off the 35mm reader aligned to the 35mm film path.

I had, for my portable rig, replaced the standard screws with thumbscrews of the correct length (VERY important so you don't damage the circuit board in the reader) to make the swap out easier.

Brian Rose
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 02:05 PM      Profile for Brian Rose   Email Brian Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I appreciate you clear that up for me.

BR

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-27-2010 02:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bzzzzzzt wrong. The screw/spacer thingy was only for projectors that couldn't use the standard bracket. The Century JJ can use the standard reader mount and they have an even slicker system for that. You mount a quick change plate to each reader (supplied in the 70mm reader kit) and then all you need is a slotted screw driver...the readers are held on with a captivated, spring loaded screw and registered via pins.

For my 70mm installations, I use thumbscrews on the reader cables to make them pretty much tooless.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-27-2010 03:04 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh bzzzt yourself Steve. [Razz] You've been watching too many game shows.

What I said was true for the Simplex projector setup I was using, which was pre-quick change bracket era.

Since I am not familiar with the setup for the Century I'll concede you are right.

Good call on the thumbscrews for the cable too.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 03:35 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
35-70 brackets DTS
Here ya go. Just scroll down to the second PDF file.
Rick

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-27-2010 03:49 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rick, so from the looks of the current setup, I was RIGHT in regards to the OLD way of doing it. But I was wrong in the CURRENT way of doing it.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-27-2010 04:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, "current" way has been around about as long as DTS itself...there was a relatively brief period where the spacers were used and again, the "current" kit is only for those projectors that can use the standard bracket (Simplex/Century) or can be mounted 17.5mm inset.

The drawing dates back to 1996 or three years after DTS came out. I want to say the quick change came out about when the 6D came out.

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/wareview.php?id=607&category=2

The link above will get you to the 70mm instructions on F-T.

Steve

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2010 01:11 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Main page

888-428-2268 Compliments of Karen Hultgren. She's always been happy to help me out with any DTS concerns.

Rick Hamilton

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-28-2010 05:46 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...haven't seen Karen's name for a while. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: