Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie CH 10 DC switch, NEED HELP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Christie CH 10 DC switch, NEED HELP
Ben Mozer
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 02:33 PM      Profile for Ben Mozer   Email Ben Mozer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the DC connector in the rectifier short out last night. The AC wire seemed to have come into contact with one of the heat sinks, which caused the short, so the connector makes a loud buzzing sound when the manual DC switch is thrown. I replaced the connector in the rectifier, but it still doesn't work and still makes the loud buzzing sound. I am, admittedly, an amateur at this, so I don't know what to look for next and my repair man can't get here for a couple days.

|  IP: Logged

Ben Mozer
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 04:31 PM      Profile for Ben Mozer   Email Ben Mozer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously though, I really really need some help. If I'm asking in the wrong way or not giving enough info, let me know and I will correct it.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 05:05 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's just confusing that the connector is making noise. Could the noise just be coming from somewhere in the rectifier that you can't pinpoint? Sounds like it may be a shorted diode.

Ben Mozer
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 05:09 PM      Profile for Ben Mozer   Email Ben Mozer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be from something else, but it sure seems like it's coming from the DC connector. When I flip the manual switch to strike the lamp, that's when it starts buzzing. When I take the panels off the listen for the noise, it sounds like it's coming straight from that connector. Also, it may be a diode because the insulation on the AC wire was burn through and actually making contact with the heat sink. But, if it's a diode, why does it sound like the connector is buzzing? Do I need to replace the diodes or the entire heat sink? Could there be more shorted out than just that?
L
ike I say, I'm no expert on this by any stretch of the imagination.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 05:17 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did it happen in the middle of the show or at start up? Exactly what happened?

Ben Mozer
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 05:19 PM      Profile for Ben Mozer   Email Ben Mozer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It happened last night when I wasn't here. But, from what I can tell, it happened right at the start of a show. I'm guessing that the wire was laying on the heat sink for a while and the insulation finally melted through at the beginning of that show.

I think I'm mostly afraid that I have to replace the entire rectifier now....that would be pretty pricey.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 05:22 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually when a diode shorts, it trips the breaker. Sometimes, especially with Christie rectifiers, it doesn't trip the breaker and makes this low pitched LOUD hum or buzz. It could be a shorted diode that didn't trip the breaker and overheated the AC wire.

Ben Mozer
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 05:25 PM      Profile for Ben Mozer   Email Ben Mozer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had to replace diodes before, and this didn't seem like a diode problem to me. But I might replace those for good measure (hopefully I have a positive AND negative) and replace that wire as well.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 05:27 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Test them all first to see. From what you're telling me, it sounds like it.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 05:33 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be certain, you're not talking about a contact relay that's making a buzzing sound?

Ben Mozer
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 05:38 PM      Profile for Ben Mozer   Email Ben Mozer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think that's what it is (I don't know all the jargon yet). It's the mechanism that flips in the rectifier when you turn the Manual DC on.

And what, exactly, do I touch with the voltmeter to test each diode?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 05:46 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even so, I still think it may be a diode. I don't know what would buzz on the contactor. With an ohm meter you check each diode one by one. Take it off the heat sink. Put one lead on the threads and the other lead on the stem. Then switch leads. If it's "closed" in both directions, it's shorted.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 05:53 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had contactors that have gotten weak and will buzz. Usually you can lightly tap on the top of it and it will finish pulling down the contacts or on some you can actually push the contact bar down.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 05:58 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He said he replaced it with another one though.

Ben Mozer
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 06:00 PM      Profile for Ben Mozer   Email Ben Mozer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I replaced the contactor. The old one was OBVIOUSLY burnt out. But the same problem persists and the lamp won't ignite.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: