Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinema sound processor quality test in analog (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinema sound processor quality test in analog
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2010 06:08 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did discussed this many times, but as I do have big tehnical background in pro-audio, and blind test of equipment is always welcomed there, so I decided to make one on film area. I had some time and did recorded some trailler, projector is same, as well reader and so, on all recordings. There are four cinema processors used and calibrated as it should be, signal which is recorded is Stereo Lt and Rt with SR. Now I want you to listen and told which one you think is best SR sounding. I know this isn't real test as real would be to hear complete unit, but it's something.

This are files , just download it, unpack and listen, then replay with opinion! Sorry for that upload, but I don't have any other way to upload.

Later, when we get some replays, I will let you know which processors were used.

|  IP: Logged

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2010 08:21 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fun little compare-o.
My opinion from best to worst:

on #3 I hear some pumping of the compressors
on #2 I hear grunge or distortion artifacts on the voice overs

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-29-2010 09:18 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
download daily limit reached the server says!
I understand that it's not a very accurate test, but listening to SR encoded sound will end up with some wierd artifacts caused by the SR codec itself. So maybe in this case the best sounding is not necessarily the one that will sound better AFTER the SR decoder.
Anyway I like the idea, I'll give you my score as soon I am able to download the files.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2010 09:59 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for nottice Marco, here is another link, this should work fine!

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-29-2010 06:04 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My order (best on top)

4 - I found it a bit harsh and there is a hum in the background.
3 - Channels are inverted. Is that the processor? [Smile] some noise in the background as well.

I find 1 and 2 almost identical with #1 a little poor in the medium/low band.

To make a better test, I would probably have recorded the 5.1 sound from the outputs (flat EQ) and downmixed to 2.0. What we are listening here is just the preamplifier capability, am I mistaken?

Looking forward to seeing the results!

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-29-2010 07:08 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea Marin!

First, a little background on my hearing.
Age- 49 y.o
Worked in the cinema industry since 1982.
89% hearing in the left ear - 14% in the right with severe tinnitis due to antibiotics, so I obviously don't have perfect hearing by any means.

My choices.

4- I found this a good balance between frequency range, minimal companding artifacts and a lack of silibance.

1- Crushing of dynamic range during the quiet segment just prior to the female voice with some silibance during that dialogue.

2- Increasing brittleness and harshness during explosive high frequency sounds and voices.

3- Companding artifacts (pumping) during quieter passages.

These passages were listened to on my laptop system which is no substitute for a full blown cinema setup, but I found this to be a very interesting idea and look forward to hearing (yuk yuk) what others find in the examples.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-29-2010 08:02 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marin, I'm getting a broken link message on your second link...The best bet if possible would be to ask Brad if there is a way to upload your file onto the F-T servers (Maybe over in the Videos section?) so it can be found by everyone for all eternity. [Big Grin]

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2010 04:15 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is strange, I uploaded it to skydrive and it was available true direct link, still is but not direct, just click on that map in this link

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2010 11:16 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marin.

Don't keep us hanging on! I'm very interested to see which processor is which.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-05-2010 04:08 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so am I!

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2010 07:29 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Testing- one two, testing.

Marin, we know you're out there. Put us out of our misery and reveal the processors.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2010 07:38 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am here, well I was in London for few days, did meet with Ben Wales there and he showed me some booth, also it was some beer around and so..... [beer]

Too bad more people didn't put votes, but here it is:

1. Dolby CP500
2. Sony DCP1000
3. Sony DFP3000
4. Dolby CP50

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2010 02:06 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marin.

Thanks for putting in the effort for a really interesting challenge. I think it's a great idea that made me listen rather than just hear and I hope you'll consider doing others at some stage.

Results-wise? Who would have thought that I prefer the venerable old CP50 over the much more modern Dolby and Sony product? I guess it says something about how my hearing has suffered over the years.

Still, ANALOGUE RULES!! [beer] [Big Grin]

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2010 02:49 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, I don't think is that bad.....CP50 uses original dolby SR CAT280's, so why it shouldn't sound good? Also, big thing is that reverse scan is used too. The most interesting thing for me was to compare both digital sony and dolby, but CP500 still has all analog SR chain, good thing would be to have CP650 but I don't have any around which I can take for a day or two.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-14-2010 04:44 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But recording the sound from the preamplifier does not take into account the noise reduction or the pro logic.

The clip with the reverted channel was confusing as well.

Not complaining, I enjoyed it, but I think this is testing just the preamps and the reader!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: