Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I NEED HELP....DTS DISCS NOT AVAIABLE IN MEXICO. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I NEED HELP....DTS DISCS NOT AVAIABLE IN MEXICO.
Juan Carlos
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2010 04:41 AM      Profile for Juan Carlos   Author's Homepage   Email Juan Carlos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI, i´M PROJECTIONIST, I NEED HELP . I REALLY WANT PROJECT ANY FILM WITH DTS AUDIO, BUT I CAN´T IF THESE FILMS DOESN´T CONTAIN THE DISCS. THE DISTRIBUTORS SAID: "THE FORMAT IS OBSOLETE, AND EXPENSIVE", BUT IN MY CINEMA WE HAVE A 8 DTS XD-10 PLAYERS, AND A ONE DTS-6D, THE QUESTION IS; ANY CAN SHARE THE DISCS VIA TORRENT???

THE FILMS ARE:

EAT, PRAY, LOVE
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2
BIUTIFUL
RED

I REALLY APRECIATE ANY HELP OR SUGGESTION

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-30-2010 11:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please understand proper internet etiquette and DO NOT SHOUT IN ALL CAPS. That will get you removed from this forum.

Please read through the rules pages before you post again.

Juan Carlos
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2010 03:19 PM      Profile for Juan Carlos   Author's Homepage   Email Juan Carlos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im sorry, i didn´t read the rules before write the post. now i read all the rules about it [Smile] .

now..... someone can help me??? for me is very awful that not contain DTS discs.... this week, films with DTS: open season 3 (spanish dubbed), wall street 2, ga-hoole (spanish dubbed), life as we know it... that´s not fair... [Frown]

please.....help me to find the way to obtain DTS discs. (in special RED, not avaiable in mexico yet...but i want see this movie with DTS [Big Grin] )

ps: sorry if the words sound wrong.... im still learn english [Cool]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2010 04:06 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this site . Someone there should be able to answer your questions.

Rick

Juan Carlos
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2010 04:27 PM      Profile for Juan Carlos   Author's Homepage   Email Juan Carlos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rick.

now, can you expalin me .... in the page, should i write to Request a replacement DTS Digital Sound or DTS Access™ disc???

this is new for me (in the cinema that i worked, the manager should make the request to the distributors, but a lot of times, they never send us a discs.)

personally, that i do is "burn" a DVD-data, with DTS-files. (when is a 2 discs, mixed the carpets, preserving the dts.exe from the disc 1).

greetings

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-30-2010 04:30 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Juan Carlos
now, can you expalin me .... in the page, i should write to Request a replacement DTS Digital Sound or DTS Access™ disc???

Yes.

Juan Carlos
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2010 04:46 PM      Profile for Juan Carlos   Author's Homepage   Email Juan Carlos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but can they send me a dts disc from any title????? [Eek!] [Eek!]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-30-2010 05:58 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what if they can't? Getting discs for 3 movies out of the 4 you wanted would be better than never sending out the email and getting 0.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-30-2010 09:55 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would get a good analog processor, tune it properly, and go back to analog. Dolby Digital would also work and--I guarantee you--no missing discs. This is what we are doing here as well. Louis

Juan Carlos
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2010 02:46 AM      Profile for Juan Carlos   Author's Homepage   Email Juan Carlos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all [Big Grin] .

Chris: maybe .... I´ll try..... so what, if they send me a discs fine, if not, good luck for the next [Razz] .

Louis: About the analog processor: I don´t know how to make it [Eek!] . we have 9 dolby cp-45, with variations from one processor to another.... i mean, in the processor 7 is fine, but in the processor 3 is awful [Mad] .(I´m Starting in this fascinating world.... i´m 28 years-old, and 2 work in this activity [Big Grin] ).... the only thing i can to do is change the lamp.... and clean the projector (CHRISTIE projectors)..... but i want learn everything, how to do it.... i don´t know....i mean.... All about the maintenance, calibrate, repairs.....
the other thing that i´m expert is in the digital projectors... (christie & barco projectors..... and doremi servers.... i dont remember what is the model)

from this site, we make a lot of things....the simultaneous movie in 16 screens....(but in our case, 4 screens per film [Cool] )....the dts xd-10 upgrade , the download manuals..... anyway.... i dont remember what else.

greetings. [thumbsup]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-31-2010 10:58 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, whoever told you that DTS is either misinformed or confused -- DTS and Dolby Digital (SRD) are alive and well. SDDS is obsolete.

I had the "missing disc" problem with DTS when I lived in The Bahamas. My theatres were overseas, opening day-and-date with the U.S. We needed time to screen the movie for the censors, so the prints had to get shipped to us early. Sometimes I'd have a print about 1-2 weeks prior to opening.

Evidently, the advance-shipping schedule was the problem -- I was told that the discs were never ready in time for early shipments like that. But the depots knew that we needed DTS and they'd send the discs as "chasers" -- rushing to catch up with the print -- but it was usually too late. By the time we got our discs, the movie was near the "end of the line" in the analog houses.

Eventually, I convinced management to upgrade the premiere houses to Dolby Digital, and we moved the DTS players to the smaller theatres at the "end of the line." They got more use there and it worked out great. DTS was a cheaper system to install, so it gave us a cost-effective means of having great sound in our smaller houses.

I love DTS but the "missing disc" issue is the format's biggest problem.

When I switched to repertory screenings, I found that most repertory prints of DTS titles do not have DTS discs. If I was anticipating a title that was DTS only (like JURASSIC PARK or SCHINDLER'S LIST) we would call the rental company well in advance and we'd get a print with DTS discs inside.

Things may be different now, but DTS did not get involved with sending discs to theatres (other than test discs or trailer subscriptions).

If you find that you just can't get the discs, you'll have no other choice but to rely on analog or trade in your DTS machines for Dolby Digital.

If you use analog, you are going to need to learn how to do an A-Chain alignment. Do yourself a BIG favor and hire an experienced professional who will agree to train you. That's how I learned. I couldn't learn it by simply reading about it. My tech trained me and also left me with a collection of the necessary test loops.

After that, I verified the A-chains weekly and, eventually, I found that I needed to make adjustments at least once a month. But checking them frequently gave me opportunities to practice the process. You will find that once you've had a chance to learn it, and then do it yourself, reading about it will make a lot more sense.

At the time, the best set of written instructions I could find was on the Smart Devices website.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2010 04:25 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS es basura!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-31-2010 09:12 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your CP-45 should be Ok-enough. They should all sound the same. I agree with Manny; get a professional in there to repair and then train you. Louis

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-31-2010 09:26 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with Louis B. -- A lot of people don't like the CP45 but I loved the little guy. My first chain couldn't afford a whole bunch of CP500 or CP650 units. The CP45 made it possible for us to get good stereo sound in ALL of our theatres -- not just the big houses.

CP45 gets a bad rap for using the 222SR/A card but it was a step up from the Smart IIB's that I met there when I first started. So, it's not perfect, but you can do a lot worse. I think the CP45 is a good value.

And you CAN get good sound out of it.

I was a lot happier with the CP45 when I stopped using the built-in EQ which does not have enough bands (and IIRC uses non-standard frequencies). Instead, I used graphic EQ's just before the amps.

So if you sell of your DTS units, use that money to buy yourself some professional EQ's !!! Maybe your dealer will offer you a trade-in.

Juan Carlos
Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2010 01:21 AM      Profile for Juan Carlos   Author's Homepage   Email Juan Carlos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, I´m agree with you.....SDDS is obsolete..... SRD is the best choice (any movie contains SRD) but the company (cinépolis in México) doesn´t change the equipment for anything . we have a request, one year ago, for change at least 3 cp45 into cp650, but nothing. they said that´s expensive for a old cinema. the cinema is a complex with 10 screens and 14 years.

Insist: DTS isn´t crap. (well, sometimes....when the movie isn´t action, or sci-fi, or tarantino´s movie.......jajajajaja...lol......i like "inception" with DTS, that´s one of the reasons why i love DTS [Smile] )

about the technician: i will do it ..... i hope survive with SR (jajajajajaja....just kidding. [Razz] )

Thanks to all again for the help..... greetings

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: