Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Amplifier Hiss (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Amplifier Hiss
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-03-2010 07:21 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hearing a hiss coming from my screen channels with nothing playing.

Am I just being picky or is there something we can do to get rid of it?

|  IP: Logged

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2010 07:27 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it go away when you turn the processor fader down?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-03-2010 08:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is generally due to the gain structure not being set up well.

Now, some degree of hiss once everything is tuned is normal. One thing I liked about Panastereo over most all others is that it was 10dB quieter than ANY other processor on the market...you didn't get hiss out of it.

I suspect I will be out there soon enough though to go through it a bit and see how the installers did.

Steve

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-03-2010 08:50 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
That is generally due to the gain structure not being set up well.
Oh my. Well, don't look at ME! LOL

We're looking forward to your visit.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2010 09:58 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To minimize hiss, I adjust the preamp output levels to about 80% of max which gives 20% headroom if any adjustment were required. Then I adjust the amp gain to get the proper level.

It sounds like your amp gain may be very high and your preamp output low.

This is just a guess though which is based on having hissy amps.

I know at our chain, the techs who B chained before me set all the amps to full gain. I think they did it to prevent people from damaging the sound system if they happened to tamper with the amp gain knobs.

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-03-2010 10:00 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes sense. Everything is digital prior to the amps. Hence, I suspected it was "amp hiss."

I'll have the tech lower the amps until the hiss is gone and then boost the pre-amp gain and see what happens. I suspect that'll do it.

Dolby states having the amps full-open as the preferred state. Interesting.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-03-2010 10:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No no no...Where does Dolby state that. Oddly enough...a procedure was given in the spec for setting the gain structure.

If they amp gains are substantially the way up...they they were not set correctly.

QSC will have one set the amps all of the way up...but that only applies if the dataport cables are used with the 9dB pad on the dataport inputs.

Did they tune it with a D2 analyzer?

-Steve

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-03-2010 10:51 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, what processor, crossover/monitor and amps are involved?

Which of the screen channel(s) are hissing?

Did this come on suddenly or has it always been there?

How loud is it?

I had a few CP750's that were bad and hissed badly.

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-03-2010 11:04 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Where does Dolby state that
Here's what it says on page 4-3 of the CP650 Installation Manual:

"Set all the gain controls on all power amplifiers to a known repeatable setting. The preferred setting for most amplifier gain controls is maximum.
If a different setting is required in order to optimize the noise performance of the system, the controls should be locked in position or marked clearly." (Emphasis is theirs.)

Their preferred way didn't quite work out, so now I'll ask the tech to go with Plan B. I sent an email already so he's aware -- coz he's planning to leave tomorrow. [Eek!]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-03-2010 11:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves me correctly Dolby wants to see 750 mv RMS at the output with volume set to 7. Adjust your amps gain accordingly then depending of course on theor actual gain.
If I am wrong then perhaps Sam could chime in on this...

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-03-2010 11:19 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, I still would like answers to my questions, because at UC Irvine I have my CP-650 in HIB operating with the amps wide open and don't have a hiss problem. (MxA Series amps stage and sub, USA 900 for surrounds).

Did this come on suddenly? Or was it always there?

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-03-2010 11:35 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony

I only noticed it this evening but it's a construction zone so it may have been masked by all the noise. Or maybe I just never noticed it before because I wasn't looking for it.

Today our grand drape was being installed and I was having a conversation with the rigger so I was standing right on the stage. The tech came in to talk to me and waited in the 2nd row for me to finish my convo with the rigger. I looked over to him and asked "are you hearing this hissing?" He couldn't hear it from there.

So a little later I was still on stage with the rigger and my boss came into the theatre and -- standing in the 2nd row -- asked "is that amp hiss?" I went down to where he was and, sure enough, I could still hear it. It really is THAT loud. But by then our tech was gone for the day. That's why I came on here to ask the question. I needed to know if I was being unrealistic in my expectations.

Dolby DMA8 Plus --> CP650 --> QSC DCP300 --> QSC Amps (various) --> QSC 4-way loudspeakers

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-04-2010 12:25 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah,ha. the signal chain you described brings the next questions:

Does changing modes on the DCP-300 make the hiss go away? Adjusting the fader on the DCP-300, same question?
Turning off the CP-650, any effect? Fader on CP-650, any effect?

Since you essentially have two processors in the chain you need to isolate which one affects the hiss.

Odds are though that it is a gain settings issue as Steve correctly surmised.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-04-2010 06:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please also note, the signal is in the digital domain all of the way until the output of the DCP300...the CP650 has the Cat 778 card so the output is also digital. There is only one D/A stage.

There were instructions on how the set the gain structure...they don't appear to have been followed.

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-04-2010 03:14 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem appears to be associated with DMA8 Plus.

Goes away when other formats are selected on CP650, or when the DMA8 unit is disconnected.

DMA8 is connected to external input (Format 11) Analog?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: