Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kodak Pageant exciter light

Author Topic: Kodak Pageant exciter light
Barry Fritz
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2010 02:17 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an AV-12M6. This model plays both magnetic and optical sound films. Problem is the exciter light does not work. I have replaced it with and new one and it still doesn't. The amp light button lights up. With my little power wand that beeps and lights, I get nothing from the blue wire that runs to the light. Does anyone know what the problem may be? Thanks in advance, Barry

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2010 09:59 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Barry: Go to www.16mmfilmtalk.com. The guys there will be able to help you.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2010 10:40 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Barry,

It has been a while since I worked on one of those projectors. Some were powered by DC but most of the 16mm exciter lamps were powered by a high frequency oscillator. Perhaps the oscillator in your amplifier is not working.

The transistor amplifiers used the DC exciter while the vacuum tube systems were powered by the oscillator.

Hope this helps.

KEN

Barry Fritz
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2010 11:03 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I registered at the 16mm site and will post there when I get approved. I see no mention of an oscillator in the wiring diagram in the repair book I have for it. It just shows what it calls exciter lamp power supply that has one wire to the lamp, one to the amp and the red power line. The amp does have a circuit board... I don't think there are vacuum tubes.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2010 09:29 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many people swear by Pageants, but they do have some knocks such as difficult disassembly and access to the amp (especially the later model machines with the solid state amp in the bottom of the case) along with a much more difficult parts situation than the more common Eiki and Elmo portables. When you're on 16mm filmtalk chat up Rich Patchett or Rich Burgess--both do repair work on 16mm machines and Patchett especially is very forthcoming with advice and suggestions. Ken Layton is also very helpful and knowledgable. Good luck.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: