Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Connecting an XD-10 to a JS 105/195

Author Topic: Connecting an XD-10 to a JS 105/195
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2010 03:05 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to track down a set of cable to connect a DTS XD-10 to a USL JS 105/195.

While doing that, I wonder if it's a simple thing to make my own cabling. I'm fine with a soldering iron and have made my own custom cables in the past.

The only thing I really wonder about are the breakout board and logic circuit board that come with the DTS kit.

It looks as though these boards provide some type of configuration feature via jumpers, etc. Does anyone know if that's the case? Or, are they just there to provide flexibility for changes to the JS105/195 -- eg. adding a JXR card for SR, where previously the processor was SVA only.

Any thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-12-2010 03:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I though that the XD-10 was a self contained unit (like its predesessor, the DTS-6AD unit) that doesn't need an external processor to play back DTS like the old DTS-6 and 6D player units which does go through the processor..

..but could be wrong on this if there is more tricks in the bag that I don't know about ..

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-12-2010 03:57 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a straight through 25 pin female to male cable and cut one end off of it. Make sure you you cut the correct end off. One end will plug into the XD10 and the other end you will strip the cabling down to reveal the individual wires. Using a pin out diagram in the manual find the correct wire for each pin using a continuity check on a multimeter. Label each wire for what it is then put connectors on the wire and then terminate on the terminal strip of the JS unit. Do this for audio out and automation.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2010 05:11 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

I don't think the XD-10 will handle automation and all that good stuff -- like non-sync inputs.

Darryl,

That's what I thought. I just wasn't sure what those breakout boards from DTS are doing. I can see maybe the audio breakout board, just to make connection easier.

But it looks as though there is something else going on at the logic board. I suspect it's just an easy hookup thing again. That way they don't need two cables for USL units with and without SR cards.

-David

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-12-2010 05:39 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte

No, the XD10 is quite similar to a DTS 6/6D, with just a hard drive and video capabilities. The XD20 is similar.

The successor of 6AD would be the XD10P, a completely different product, despite part of the name in common (if I am not mistaken the XD10P is actually the USL JSD-80?)

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2010 06:18 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm guessing the jumper on the logic board ties the SR and SVA lines together and feeds to the SVA trigger on the JS. That way, with no JXR card in the JS, even if the DTS unit is configured for SR, an SR signal from the XD-10 will simply trigger SVA.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: