Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong AP3 deck capacity

Author Topic: Strong AP3 deck capacity
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2010 08:55 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know we've talked about this before, but I couldn't find the answer in the search function. We open Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 on Friday, and have it double-featured with the 7 reel "Hereafter". HP7 is 8 reels, and Hereafter is 7. I typically build both prints to the same platter, but I don't know if both of these will fit on the same deck, especially considering the 15 reel count doesn't include my policy trailers or intermission trailers. Would it be best to split them up on two separate decks or do you think it's possible they might both fit on a standard size Strong Ap3 deck?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-18-2010 09:25 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old rule of thumb was 4.5-hours of film before the film falls over the edge of the deck with ACETATE film (presuming 52" decks...American standard). With Polyester film, you can probably squeeze more on.

Some things to think about...as you get out to the outer diameters, the speed of the decks will become more erratic as you are moving the motors VERY slow. The film will be taking an almost 90-degree bend from the pack of the film to the centerfeed feed-finger...this is the scenario that shows up film cling (static) the most. The fact that we are now heading into the low-humidity season would tend to increase the chance of a static wrap.

Those two films, based on IMDB running times comes to 4-hours and 35-minutes. Add in your leader, tail, intermission spacing, previews and what not. You will definitely be pushing it and have a decent chance of not being able to fit it all (depending on your whatnots). The payout platter on the AP3 is also going to HATE coming up to speed with THAT much weight on it...though it should be able to keep up once there.

My advice...consider using two decks on this one.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2010 10:15 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.. I was figuring it would end up on two decks. Won't really be a big deal to re-thread during intermission. Our other screen will have it's intermission about 45 minutes before the Harry Potter side, so there won't be any running back and forth between booths.

Thanks for your input...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-18-2010 02:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and hope you have phase control brains instead of microswitch brains with them big movies...

Just don't like that "off/on" operation of the microswitch brains.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: