Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sub input for EXT on USL JS 105/195

Author Topic: Sub input for EXT on USL JS 105/195
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2010 11:27 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but is there a way to route the sub output from a DTS XD-10 to a USL JS105/195? Doesn't look as though the JS series didn't add a sub input until the 200.

There's no block diagram in the JS Series (1991) manual showing the use of the EXT/MAG inputs. The only odd thing I see is that the left surround (Sl) input has another printed tag right below it labeled (S).

Also, the DTS manual says that on the JS 5/95, pins 19 & 20 to the left of the STANDBY POWER block need to have a jumper installed in order to "enable the right surround". Anyone know if this holds true for the 105/195?

Figured I'd try here first. I'm guessing USL doesn't check support email during the weekend.

-David

-David

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-20-2010 01:38 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to solder the sub wire to the b pin of the format card on the backplane. On the backplane on the right side of the externa/mag inputs you will see two long rows of pin points for the format card. it is the second row second pin down from the top that you will want to solder the wire for the sub. Make sure you have the newer format card with the digital input button on it. FMJ-20.

quote: David E. Nedrow
The only odd thing I see is that the left surround (Sl) input has another printed tag right below it labeled (S).

That sl/s is used if you are only doing mono surrounds.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-20-2010 03:26 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David E. Nedrow
Also, the DTS manual says that on the JS 5/95, pins 19 & 20 to the left of the STANDBY POWER block need to have a jumper installed in order to "enable the right surround". Anyone know if this holds true for the 105/195?

Forgot to mention that as long as you are using the JMF-20 format card you will not need to use the jumper.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2010 07:06 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
Forgot to mention that as long as you are using the JMF-20 format card you will not need to use the jumper.
Ah, in this case I have a JFMP-20C 6-channel format card, so no jumper. Good. I can do it, but I hate taking a soldering iron to critical equipment. [Wink]

David

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-21-2010 05:52 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The JSE-20 Surround card is what you will need to avoid using the jumper. The JFM-20 was for the sub. I just typed the wrong one in my previous post.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: