Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How does one inject pink noise?

Author Topic: How does one inject pink noise?
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2010 03:51 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are test points on various bits of the USL JS 105/195 sound processor, through which one is able to inject pink noise.

My question is, how does one actually do that? On visual observation, the test points look like they're single pole. If I have a pink noise generator that puts out a 0 dB signal at line level, how would I input that into, for example, the JEQ-10 house equalizer module? If the test input IS single pole, what is used for the second pole? Chassis?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-22-2010 04:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the other pole is a e terminal to one on the optical preamp is easiset to reach

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2010 05:25 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Gordon.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-22-2010 09:00 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, when injecting pink noise through those points be VERY careful as some of them are "post-fader" which means they will feed signal directly to the amps with no level control between! Very easy to blow out speakers if you aren't careful.

USL still has their plug-in pink noise card, get it if you can, it's not expensive and provides the proper levels to set room SPL correctly.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-23-2010 03:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it might be possible to assemble an adapter card to allow this pink noise gen to work in a Dolby. Voltages and levels are probably similar. Louis

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2010 04:24 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony
USL still has their plug-in pink noise card, get it if you can, it's not expensive and provides the proper levels to set room SPL correctly.
I've been considering that, but I'm -- hopefully -- getting a new JSD-80 to replace this poor, abused JS 105/195 that I inherited.

I think there may be someone locally who has the USL pink noise card. I'm going to ask our service person if he can get in touch to see if we can borrow it for a day or two. I hate to spend $250 for something I'll probably have no need for in the near future. Though, if I somehow come up with space for a "screening" room, I could use this JS and amplifiers (being replaced as well) for that, meaning I would need the pink noise card.

I hate decisions like these. [Wink]

And I'll check the block diagrams for the test points to see where they fall in the chain. Thanks for the warning, as it wasn't something I thought of.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-23-2010 06:25 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David E. Nedrow
puts out a 0 dB signal
0dBFS?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-23-2010 10:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope...0dBv. The JS series had a buss level of .775V

-Steve

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-24-2010 03:38 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was gonna say... [Eek!]

(my point being...you can't just say "dB" by itself...it's not enough.)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-24-2010 05:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was, more or less, implied. I could understand the confusion between dBv, dBV (.775V vs 1.0V) but in no way should someone think that was dBFS

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-24-2010 05:53 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm just picky about insisting on a reference.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: