Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New York Times Profiles Projectionist (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New York Times Profiles Projectionist
Donald Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2010 04:06 PM      Profile for Donald Brown   Email Donald Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since my paper always comes at least a few days late, I only spotted the article today: On Thanksgiving Day, November 25, the Times profiled the man behind the scenes in the booth at the Ziegfeld Theatre in New York City. When I noticed what appeared to be a platter in the accompanying photo, I took a second glance and read the article! Congrats to our colleague featured in the profile! It is noteworthy when someone in this field receives a measure of recognition!
Don Brown

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-30-2010 04:34 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to article

EXPERIENCE NECESSARY
The Film Projectionist Who Looks Away
By ROBIN FINN
Published: November 24, 2010

On day one of a recent vacation, Joseph J. Micherdzinski was home in Yonkers with his wife, Mary Ann, watching the original black-and-white version of “The Night of the Living Dead.” Mr. Micherdzinski, 67, has been a film projectionist since 1968, so this seemed a bit like a pizza-maker going out for a holiday meal and wolfing down a dozen slices of Sicilian, but no.
Suzanne DeChillo/The New York Times

“The sad part is that projectionists are going the way of the dinosaurs and reel-to-reel,” Mr. Micherdzinski said.
According to him, there is nothing innovative coming out of Hollywood, hence his home library of go-to classics. He has worked at the Ziegfeld Theater for 17 years but says he rarely bothers sneaking a peek at the big screen.

Last movie watched at work: “The American” with George Clooney. I thought it was slow. But I enjoyed the story. I saw “Avatar” at a theater where one of my buddies is a projectionist. “Inglourious Basterds” I’ve seen several times; there’s a scene that shows what’s so dangerous about the old silver nitrate film that’s no longer used by the industry.

Look at it cockeyed and it explodes in your face. It’s very flammable.

Speaking of flammable ... In my whole career, I’ve only had one fire break out during a movie, but once was enough. It was at the Ziegfeld — some wiring behind the booth caught fire and it spread. First the assistant manager and I cleared out the theater. Then we fought the fire with extinguishers until the Fire Department got there. The movie we were showing that night was “Vertigo.”

Intro to cinema: I grew up in Parkchester in the Bronx; we had two theaters, the Palace and the Circle. On Saturday afternoons you could see 2 features, 10 cartoons and one part of a serial, all for 50 cents. The first movie I remember going to at night was “Mister Roberts.” It was my mother’s sister’s husband who got me into this business; he was a projectionist on Broadway and at Lincoln Center.

In the Navy: I was assigned to the U.S.S. Ticonderoga, an attack aircraft carrier stationed out of San Diego. I was an internal communications electrician; part of my job was taking care of the projection equipment on the ship.

In-flight entertainment: My uncle told me they were hiring at Bell & Howell airline services company out at J.F.K. airport, a union job. We serviced the projection equipment when the aircraft were at the gate or in the hangars; all a stewardess had to do was press a button at movie time. It was 16 millimeter film. I was there 15 years. For training, I went to something called motion picture operators’ school.

The big screen: I wanted to work in a theater, and in 1983 there was an opening for a projectionist at the Riverdale, part of the Loews chain. I was there a couple years, then it closed. When it reopened as an independent, the new owner twinned it and threw me a few extra shifts.

Endangered species: The sad part is that projectionists are going the way of the dinosaurs and reel-to-reel. Everything went digital. At the Ziegfeld I can show digital movies, I can show 35 millimeter, and I can show 70 millimeter, but I’m down to 25 hours a week. My daughter-in-law was a projectionist in Co-op City for 10 years; she just got laid off.

Favorite movie: Anybody who says they have a favorite movie, it is one big fat lie. There’s too many out there. O.K., the original “King Kong” is one of the best; for Westerns, “The Searchers.” James Cagney in “Public Enemy.” “Some Like it Hot” was a great comedy. I thought “The Hangover” was funny. I saw it on cable.

A version of this article appeared in print on November 25, 2010, on page A36 of the New York edition.

-

So, Joseph...where are you brother? Join Film-Tech man.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-30-2010 05:14 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a sad story

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2010 05:58 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, note the empty platter and what looks like a Christie digital projector tot he left.

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2010 06:38 PM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think thats an NEC projector.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-30-2010 07:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get tired of people saying there's nothing good coming out of Hollywood. It must be an age thing -- the same way people over 40 or 50 don't think there's any good music today.

What's funny is that people 10 or 20 or 30 years ago were saying the same thing.

50 years ago, the movie industry was all but written off as a victim of the TV revolution. But here we are today.

A lot of the movies we call classics today were flops in their time....because nothing good was being made then, either, according to the "older" generation at the time.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2010 07:35 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that's an NEC. Although it's sad his skills seem to be wasted on the digital age, he has had an interesting string of projection-related jobs. I didn't realise 16mm got played on airplanes, were they full-length recent features?

I agree with Mike, Hollywood usually makes at least a few good films a year that stand the test of time. People will naturally only recall the more memorable past titles.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-30-2010 07:52 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I get tired of people saying there's nothing good coming out of Hollywood. It must be an age thing -- the same way people over 40 or 50 don't think there's any good music today.

What's funny is that people 10 or 20 or 30 years ago were saying the same thing.

50 years ago, the movie industry was all but written off as a victim of the TV revolution. But here we are today.

A lot of the movies we call classics today were flops in their time....because nothing good was being made then, either, according to the "older" generation at the time.

I 100% agree. I am also tired of people saying nothing good is coming out. The thing about old movies is that there were so many bad films that nobody knows about.

Same thing for music.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-30-2010 07:58 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

Go dig up a Boxoffice magazine from the 1940's and just look at the sheer volume of movies produced that year. Then see how many you've ever heard of, much less seen. It would be a pretty good year if even 10% of them were good. The only thing different now is the volume of features produced. Fewer movies produced, fewer good movies.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-30-2010 08:38 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
I didn't realise 16mm got played on airplanes, were they full-length recent features?
They were edited for content and cut versions of features. They were fairly recent on the flights. In-Flight Entertainment was a good union job, they were at all the major airports.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-30-2010 11:05 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those too young to know, one 16mm print was played on multiple screens sequentially.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2010 03:02 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.......and Super 8 optical prints were common too. Mag sound could be wiped and also required a larger reel so Super 8 went optical for airlines.

How many projectionists worldwide find themselves in the same position as Joseph?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2010 05:10 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much everybody here in NYC. [Frown]

Tom Wurz
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2010 09:01 AM      Profile for Tom Wurz   Email Tom Wurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,
Does anyone have pictures of these inflight systems?
Tom

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2010 11:15 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago they dumped tons of those inflight systems when video came in. As I recall they were generally modified Bell & Howell 500 series units with marc 300 lamps and lamp changers working off a 5,000 foot reel. They were built into blisters in the plane's ceiling at least on jumbos. There are still lots of airline prints around, especially of somewhat later titles and films that weren't licensed for syndication television back when most movies for tv originated on 16mm.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: