Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Buzz out of Center Channel

Author Topic: Buzz out of Center Channel
Tracy Bellar
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2010 07:30 AM      Profile for Tracy Bellar   Author's Homepage   Email Tracy Bellar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will have to get the make of all the equipment later to fully get this issue resolved I'm sure. But here is the basics. We are having a buzz (white noise) from our center channel. This is not a digital house. It is a red sound head. I will get the necessary make of equipment today. I will list all amps processor and EQ.
We have changed out the processor and it did not help. We have changed out the sound head with no results. We have isolated each amp trying to pinpoint the cause.
We have been able to eliminate the buzz slightly if we only connect it up to run in mono. But this is not a fix.
When the buzz is coming out of center and you unplug the center channel the buzz moves to left and right channel. Which is a different amp.

Currently the automation is not working in this house. Manual startup. It is a homemade console made by Dan Worthington. A few relays are not working.

Also this projector was recently rebuilt. I just want to provide any info possible. If all this info helps I hope to get a answer from someone who may have experienced this and has a quick fix. If not I will list all the components in a few hours.

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-01-2010 09:46 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly are you unplugging when you say you unplug the center channel? The power cord, the input audio cable, etc.?

Tracy Bellar
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2010 01:40 PM      Profile for Tracy Bellar   Author's Homepage   Email Tracy Bellar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The audio input.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-01-2010 04:02 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
? ground loop issue ?

Tracy Bellar
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2010 04:54 PM      Profile for Tracy Bellar   Author's Homepage   Email Tracy Bellar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just an idea. Also a question. Since the automation is out due to burned out relays could this be coming through the crossover? Actually from a defective relay say mixing in some white noise from the music channel along with the movie sound?
We have been concentrating on Amps, Processor, and sound head.

It just seemed strange that when the center channel wasn't connected that it didn't eliminate the buzz it only moved to another channel. Left and Right.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: