Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dts-6ad

Author Topic: Dts-6ad
Julius Alan Vichinsky
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2010 06:29 PM      Profile for Julius Alan Vichinsky   Author's Homepage   Email Julius Alan Vichinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all and thank you in advance for any input you may provide. I have 4 DTS6ad units and one of them require to be shut off after each showing in order to get it to play in digital again. I have checked every setting I know of however I can't debug it.

to be specific... I turn on everything, thread the projector, start the show and it play in digital. movie ends, all cues work shut down occurs properly, rethread projector, start the next show... then the dts unit goes into SR and from that point you cant get it into digital without a recycling the power.

I have not experienced this prior but have run 3 movies in the house with this issue occurring. I contacted 1 800 dts-fail and still nothing is resolved.

I did check the PS and it seems to be running ok and not over heating. I also did a complete drive update about 8 months ago and experienced no issues until now. We have TA10 automation with fm35 film detection. Everything is spot on clean and the dts readers were replaced with the new drives.

Thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2010 07:26 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens when you manually press the DTS format?

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2010 01:03 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6AD Acronyms.

Auto Destruct.
Almost Digital
Always Down
Ain't Dolby

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2010 01:24 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Build up a small test trailer pack and try swapping boards one at a time into one of the known good units and see if the problem follows. Just for safety I would turn the fader all the way down or turn off the amps in case the levels are significantly higher.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-03-2010 04:28 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I've had serious problems with these units in the past and the big one is that damned trailer disc in "C" drive..and if it just loves to freeze things up real bad. I get rid of them trailer discs and then my problems really subside..but you gotta make sure that the POS SR section of this unit is tuned rather hot to make analog sound halfway decent so when the discs kick in there won't bet that much of a difference in sound quality.)

..the middle card loves to get flaky..

I'm almost guessing that the power supply for this one unit is getting tired on you causing it to not swing into digital.

..and sadly, DTS doesn't offer any more support on these "AD" units.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-03-2010 06:23 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but Carl Greenberg at Qualiy Presentations does! Louis

Julius Alan Vichinsky
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2010 04:39 PM      Profile for Julius Alan Vichinsky   Author's Homepage   Email Julius Alan Vichinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard - Nothing happens it does not permit me to make any adjustments. I have to cycle the power or leave it in SR.

Randy - Were you the one I talked to at DTS? You're just as helpful. [Wink]

Jeremy - Taking your advice and will run that tonight.

Monte - Trying that out in the interim.

Thanks for your feedback. I will keep you posted.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-03-2010 04:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quality Presentations in Massapequa NY tel: 516-667-3456

They do excellent repair work on these older DTS units. You have to send the unit back to them for repair.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-04-2010 12:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The powersupply cable connector had issues with contact reistance
they have a repair kit for that issue

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: