Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Regal will soon allow ushers to run projection... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Regal will soon allow ushers to run projection...
Justin B. Martin
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2010 04:34 PM      Profile for Justin B. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...similar to how AMC's "Film Crew" runs the booths.

Among the ushers' new duties are operating projectors, building and breaking down films. The ushers will have to be "certified" in order to run the booth but from what I've been hearing the certification requirements are being retooled.

I think we all know where this is going. [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Julius Alan Vichinsky
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2010 05:23 PM      Profile for Julius Alan Vichinsky   Author's Homepage   Email Julius Alan Vichinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where?

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2010 06:09 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was my understanding that most chains already allowed floor staff to run the booth as long as they had some sort of "training."

Was Regal manager only?

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2010 07:36 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal went "manager only" in '98 or '99. Their switching back is most likely due to a lot of the locations going all or mostly digital.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-07-2010 10:30 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Manager only" has been bullshit from day one, it was an excuse to keep the IATSE from ripping the chains apart when they decertified from using Union projectionists. (The agreement the IA structured mandated "manager only" for running the booths.)

EVERY theatre I serviced during my RCA days for one of the biggest chains to go "manager only" had the popcorn kids running the booth. (They skirted the IA mandate by calling them "booth ushers". WTF?? Since when did the projectors need to be told where to go?) This was all the way back in the early 80's.

So Regal's announcement is absolutely no surprise.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-07-2010 11:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Julius Alan Vichinsky
Where?
Over there.

Anyway, it is not all that surprising. Regal peeps keep telling me that 100% of their theaters will be converted to digital in the year 2011. I guess they need to start saving a tiny bit of $$$ for all of that digital stuff somehow (being that digital itself doesn't really save the exhibitor money and the elimination of a projectionist or manager wage does not do much to help afford such equipment).

What I am curious is what is to happen to the so-called "projection managers" they have now. They are managers who work mostly in the booth, but may be required to come down and work real manager shifts.

I am glad I am at Regency Theaters, at least at the Denver location while it (and 35mm) lasts. There really is no other theater in Denver that I know of where I think I would be satisfied working these days. I do projection and nothing else, it shows and the company isn't filing for bankruptcy because of my atrociously high wage. The funny thing is that I'd have to lower my standards to pass Regal's certification.

One local manager told me he is not even allowed to control the volume at his theater or the techs/corporate will get pissed. I highly doubt that's true, but it just goes to show how much fear the majority of Regal employees have of their corporate parents. A lot of Regal people no longer post here. They refuse to mention them on Facebook and whatnot (using only vague allusions to their employer). They won't even mention them when I specifically ask. Using fear to "motivate" employees is never a good thing. Must be a fun place to work!

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2010 01:37 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know with AMC, having a "Film Crew" member up in booth saves them quite a bit of money. In my case, I am Film Crew but take care of everything up in booth. Eliminated the need to pay someone twice my wage to do the same job, although they got lucky as I enjoy projection so much. The downside of course is motivating employees to take on the responsibilities and have them do a good job, which is impossible. Someone making $.50 to $1.00 over minimum wage will inherently not do such a good job, because they simply don't care. It won't matter for very long though. AMC supposedly signed a deal with Sony to outfit 2k's and 4k's to every screen AMC owns by 2012, and start times will all be controlled automatically by the performance schedules made by management. Eliminating the need for anyone to even be in the booth on a daily basis.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-08-2010 01:50 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so who has been running the booths all this time?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-08-2010 02:29 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Chase, with those Sonys and that craptastic Cine Alta junk you'll be spending a lot of time up there shuffling stuff around since each projector can only hold a terabyte.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-08-2010 03:07 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..bet it has to do with payroll - why pay an Assoc MGR type that is getting a higher wage when an "USHERBEE" who is being paid minimum to lace and start projectors .. and soon click the "Play" button on the server monitors?

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2010 04:30 AM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chase Pickett
Eliminated the need to pay someone twice my wage to do the same job, although they got lucky as I enjoy projection so much.
Yes they eliminated paying someone twice your wage. But how much of that savings did you get? Some people are trying to make a living here, and I'm glad you enjoy your job, but don't you see that you're helping them drive wages down?
quote: Chase Pickett
The downside of course is motivating employees to take on the responsibilities and have them do a good job, which is impossible. Someone making $.50 to $1.00 over minimum wage will inherently not do such a good job, because they simply don't care.
They gave you $.50-1.00 more to take on the duties and you're doing a good job and the others don't care. Don't you feel like you deserve more than the ones that don't care? Or did you get more than that, in which case good for you.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2010 04:36 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked at a Regal, from late 2000 til I left in 2001 they had a couple floor staff people working upstairs. Some only got a couple days' training before they were turned loose on 16 screens. A couple films got scratched that way, but they still didn't beat one of the assistant managers who trashed about 7 out of 16 movies in one day (misthreaded the failsafe so a plastic part scraped the film.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-08-2010 05:30 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of failsafe? FP-350s? We had a guy who did that right before I came back to my present location. Not sure how you do that, you really have to fight to do it, but he did it.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2010 09:52 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I make $8.25 an hour meaning no I don't make more than that $.50-$1.00. The saddest part is the least trained film crew member working in booth knows more about projection than any supervisor or manager in the building. We rely on the manuals here on Film-Tech for a lot actually. The booth team here with the exception of one person, who soon will no longer be upstairs, is pretty good. The incentive at my theater for booth is more hours, but the majority of us up here are kids in college who really need the money and can't afford to slack off.

As far as those Sony's I would like to punch the douche who got that bonus for signing with Sony. Obviously he/she would like a nice vacation over having added loss of revenue because of these pieces of garbage.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-08-2010 10:12 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
.bet it has to do with payroll - why pay an Assoc MGR type that is getting a higher wage when an "USHERBEE" who is being paid minimum to lace and start projectors .. and soon click the "Play" button on the server monitors?

Let's not forget, if you call them Managers you can work them more than 40 hours without paying overtime. During busy periods "Managers" can make less than minimum wage when you factor the hours/salary.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: