Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong platter sizes

Author Topic: Strong platter sizes
Eric Burrel
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2010 06:44 PM      Profile for Eric Burrel   Email Eric Burrel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Strong/Potts ever make a platter with a deck size larger than 42", but smaller than 52"? We got one of the Safety Rings, but can't get it to fit on our decks as they are too big.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-07-2010 07:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is too big, the ring or the deck? I have some decks where it fits OK (at best) and some where it must be pushed down to "snap" on requiring a screwdriver to release it. This is with all of the spacers. I have long wanted to file off those snap locks, but I don't have a big enough file to do it. I think the Safety Ring was designed for Christie platters in mind mostly as that's where it works best and that is also the type of platter that is most likely to toss a print due to the spazzy brain, even when well tuned it can snap to 100% quickly when it is supposed to be spinning slow.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2010 07:31 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They DID make one in between those 2 sizes. It was either 46 or 48 inches.

Eric Burrel
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2010 08:33 PM      Profile for Eric Burrel   Email Eric Burrel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
The ring is too big for the deck which is leading me to believe deck itself is smaller than the standard 52".

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-07-2010 11:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very odd indeed. Can you get a picture of how big the ring is compared to the platter deck? With the 52" (or so they say that's how big it is) the ring should be enough to keep the print on the deck despite the super-tight fitting. I've never had a deck that was too loose. It must only be an inch or so smaller if the motor mounts are all in the same place.

I don't think there has ever been any consistency with the quality control at Strong. They are as big as they happen to be and all are not created equal, even when they're meant to be.

Eric Burrel
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2010 01:16 AM      Profile for Eric Burrel   Email Eric Burrel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll see if I can snap a picture next time I'm in. All of our decks date back to 1995-1996. I'm guessing Strong may have offered those for a limited time or maybe as a special order as I can't find any info on them anywhere.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2010 07:46 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did offer them for a limited time like you said. I needed to order a deck 2 years ago. They don't have any. I had to buy a whole new arm assembly and a 52" deck.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: