Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Quality Control at Deluxe Labs Canada (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Quality Control at Deluxe Labs Canada
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-10-2010 12:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a print of The Tourist that had a reel 4 which ended like this:

-

An out-of-frame lab splice followed by a lot of clear film. No proper tail and I assume a significant amount of missing footage. Hell, I don't care if only 10 frames were missing, I want 'em back! But I didn't see any reel change cues near here, if this film has any.

How, exactly, does something like this happen? Obviously it happened at the lab.

I called Deluxe and they kept asking me how much footage was missing. How the hell am I supposed to know? Am I magically supposed to have found out the second time they asked? Another thing they asked me to do was to go ahead and splice reel 5 to it and show it to customers. Uh, no! I told her we'd "go dark" to light a fire under their ass (and we will if they don't deliver). The local depot has a spare print so getting a replacement reel shouldn't be too hard.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-10-2010 12:21 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I told her we'd "go dark" to light a fire under their ass
You tell 'em

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2010 12:29 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print we received had issues with R5. A nasty chemical splice, and the heads and tails were spliced on. Switched around too. There was a sticker on the tails that said "OK". Right... and Joe I'll fight you for that extra print at the depot, but That frame doesn't look familiar as T4 to me so I'm guessing there is a rather large chunk missing.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-10-2010 12:56 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
You tell 'em
To be clear, I didn't tell her that whole phrase. She asked if we'd go dark and I said "yes".

quote: Chase Pickett
Joe I'll fight you for that extra print at the depot
You can have reel 5. I only need reel 4.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2010 02:42 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate mis-matched print numbers. I'm willing for you to go dark for such a pet peeve. [Razz]
Plus you are the competition, so that works out for me.
In all seriousness though we got reel 5 already so no need. Had the same terrible chemical splice though. I hope reel 4 doesn't have your same problem.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-10-2010 09:21 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually they are ultrasonic splices. No extra chemicals involved.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2010 10:23 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has nothing to do with quality, per se, but
I noticed THE TOURIST is another one of those
prints where the last reel contains about two
minutes of the last scene of the movie, and
the entire rest of the reel is all credits.

I'm not sure where & how the "reel change"
decisions are made during the editorial process.
When I ran changeovers all the time, I used to
think they did this so that we couldn't just
skip the last reel (and the ensuing 8 or 9 minutes
of credits) and go home early.

(Not that < I > would ever do that, but there
were some people who would. . . )

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-10-2010 12:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems Like Deluxe also has the worst customer service in the industry. Last night when I called them they promised me a new reel by 10:00am today. I call around 10:30 and ask where it is. "Oh, that'll be there at 11:30am." WTF? Nobody ever bothered to call us and let us know. Too bad our first show is at 11:10 (which I informed them of last night). Now for some reason it is not being delivered until 3:30pm. WTF again??? Now there will definitely be cancelled shows. If it doesn't get here by 5:30 then the screen will be dark until I show up tomorrow afternoon, all Deluxe's fault.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2010 02:23 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel 5 of one of our prints of Black Swan started exactly like that.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-10-2010 02:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this one for size .. from "Dream Treader" :

-

Someone at the lab really fubared on this one ...

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-10-2010 02:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That was obviously done post-processing. Wow. They KNOWINGLY sent that bad patch of film out!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-10-2010 03:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Printer light failed is why the colour change

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2010 03:51 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've received several Deluxe prints in the past few months like what Monte has pictured. One print had a reel that had several spots like that and I called for a replacement.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-10-2010 04:13 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..I thought it was light strike from being at the end of the roll, but what Gord said makes sense too...

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2010 10:42 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this was a printer light failure, as the green color covers the sound track and edges. Printer light would just affect the image. It looks more like a safelight failure, or some other cause of the print stock being light struck.
How much footage was affected?
Obviously, this should never have gotten out of the lab. It was handled manually, noting the out of frame spice, so someone saw it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: