Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Repair/Exchange for CE LED's

Author Topic: Repair/Exchange for CE LED's
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2010 11:16 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone here do repair/exchange on the Component Engineering LED's? I know BACP does on theirs, but apparently CE doesn't. Just wanted to check before I strip the LED off the bracket and put the bracket in my copper bin.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-10-2010 11:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since CE LEDs are socketed, there would be no point in doing an RX on them. Just buy the LED...cut the leads to length...put a dab of heat sink compound on the LED belly and push it in. If you have a philips screwdriver and Dolby Tone test film, you can change the analog LED...the digital LED will need an O'scope.

There is no easier LED to change. BACP cement's their LED in and thus it is more tricky to remove...as such, they have an RX program so you don't damage the head while trying to get the LED out.

-Steve

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2010 11:40 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they were soldered in all this time. Do you know what the part# is for the LED by itself or recommend a certain aftermarket?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-11-2010 12:58 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Wrong about the glue. This is only used in Kiniton FP20, DP70 and DP75.

The RSLH-2 heat sink/LED are used on most American projecotrs.are held in place with a cover tab. They are soldered in place and some customers change the LED on the bench, others just go for an RA.

All regular red LED's are Dolby issue DPN32075. I sell these to a number of people at very good prices.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-11-2010 01:07 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
Steve,

Wrong about...

Whaaaaaat??? [Eek!]

Well, I guess after 7000 posts he is permitted an oops. [Razz]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-11-2010 02:59 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CE and BACP require a solder in replacement of the led within the module not realy a big deal

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-11-2010 03:38 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, those CE LED's are a breeze to change out being a socketed type.

The LED's for the Dolby CAT 701's penthouse reader are soldered, but still not that all hard to replace.

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-11-2010 09:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is another projector besides Kinoton? The others clearly don't count. [Wink]

Any Dolby dealer can get you the LED as well as any CE dealer (it will be precut from them but more expensive). The CE part number is LED-V.

-Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: