Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Remote reboot power controller

Author Topic: Remote reboot power controller
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-17-2010 10:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We service a number of locations with Screenvision preshows. As anyone who has dealt with their little "HDFriend" boxes knows, they aren't very friendly when they are locking up every day.

We were promised that their boxes would run without intervention, all on their own. Needless to say that promise turned out to be one they couldn't keep. I have asked them to install boxes so they can remotely cycle the power on them as they need to, but they claim such boxes are too expensive, so I am seeking input here for alternatives.

Can anyone recommend a CHEAP box that could be used for such a thing? It only really needs to have one power outlet on it, be IP-assignable and have ON/OFF or CYCLE controls. I am hoping if such a box exists without being too expensive they will install them and stop pestering all of the managers with the constant rebooting of their players.

FYI I recommended a Tripplite product at about $350 and they scoffed at the price, so that will give you an idea of what is "too expensive".

|  IP: Logged

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2010 11:07 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is $99 too much?
http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3060/63/

and as an added bonus it looks like you could program it to ping the HD-FRIED boxes and when they stop responding it power cycles them automatically

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-17-2010 11:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez Sean, I should've just called you and asked. I might buy one of those and test it out. You would THINK $99 is cheap enough, but who knows.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-24-2010 09:12 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And of course on Christmas Eve they wouldn't have enough people on staff to actually answer the phones when a unit locks due to power surge. Eventually, I grew tired of waiting and figured the person on the other end would either reboot it over the network or tell me they were unable and to do it myself with the switch. Needless to say, I hung up and did the latter which (not surprisingly) worked.

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2010 07:29 PM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try

http://www.controlbyweb.com/

pretty useful devices.....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: