Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound Rack Power Down Procedure (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sound Rack Power Down Procedure
Steven Ferguson
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2011 05:01 PM      Profile for Steven Ferguson   Email Steven Ferguson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a QSC MX 2000a Dual Monoaural Amp.
When shutting down for the night, do I turn this off with the switch on the amp, or can I power it down with the master switches that power down the sound rack in it's entirety?

I've seen it done both ways, but I've got a couple staff who swear adamantly it's way better for the amp to shut it down first.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-17-2011 05:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't matter. Either way it is cutting power. The caps in the amp may take a while to drain so the lights on the amp may stay on for a bit, but there is no harm in shutting everything down at once from the master breaker.

Steven Ferguson
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2011 05:23 PM      Profile for Steven Ferguson   Email Steven Ferguson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2011 05:29 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a master breaker for the rack there? If there is and everything shuts down at once, I don't think it would be an issue. I think QSC amps mute the output on power down anyways.

We shut the amps down first then breakers off, because all the outlets in the sound rack are individual breakers and the processor turns off before all the amps are off.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-17-2011 06:02 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The amp switch is not designed for daily use. You will be replacing it.

That said, there are some inferior systems where the processor "pops" on shut down. (Sounds like a cannon in the auditorium.) Louis

Steven Ferguson
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2011 06:04 PM      Profile for Steven Ferguson   Email Steven Ferguson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh that makes sense.
Yeah, we have three switches for the rack, and all can be flicked off simultaneously.
And there is no 'pop' during power down, so it sounds like I'm all good.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2011 12:10 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked the racks (big sky I think) that come with a built in contactorso that the entire rack can be switched on or off from the projection console. Very elegant IMO.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-18-2011 05:56 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have four Amps in our Rack. When we switch them all on/off with the rack main switch, our fuses blow. We switch them off individually so we need to sequence them manually on power on after the main switch. An automatic power sequencer would be handy, but would also be another possible point of failure.

Whenever possible, I would always switch off an amp individually before attached gear is switched off. These amps have huge capacitors and may still deliver bad spikes from the inputs. You may not always hear them, and you may not always have the same situation on attached systems. A blown speaker is a blown speaker.

- Carsten

Bill Yacey
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2011 01:12 PM      Profile for Bill Yacey   Email Bill Yacey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is good advice. I used to be a partner in a live sound touring production company, the power amps were always the last thing to be powered up, and the first thing to be powered down, with the input gain controls always reduced to minimum.

This eliminates any possibility of signal thump from other devices powering up or down while the power amps are still working.

Powering up multiple high power amps simultaneously creates a very large initial current draw until the filter caps charge up. Powering down isn't a concern. The filter caps tend to absorb any inductive kick from the power transformers should the line voltage be shut off.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2011 02:57 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our church, we have a automated power sequencer that steps through the "powering on" and "powering off" of the various equipment in the sound, lighting and video booth. The mixing consoles, rack components, etc. are powered on first, the crossovers and equalizers are powered on next, and the amps for the auditorium are powered on last. When "powering off" the system, one push of a button and it automatically does everything above in the reverse order.

Our amps are located in a closet upstairs behind the stage, so it's remotely hardwired from the booth.

Ours is actually activated with a key lock switch as opposed to a button - mainly to keep "the people who say they know how to run a sound system" from messing with it.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2011 05:20 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
That said, there are some inferior systems where the processor "pops" on shut down. (Sounds like a cannon in the auditorium.) Louis
CP45 does this and powering the amp off first has put an end to the woofers over excursion and failure.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-19-2011 06:32 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know it depends on the amp. Some amps charge the capacitors slowly and avoid breakers tripping. Some other don't. DCAs for example should be safely shut down using the main breaker, QSC call the feature "Active Inrush Limiting". Another cinema I used to work for had Crown amps and you couldn't turn them on using the breaker or it would trip (they actually did for years, trying several times every day when the breaker would trip. Eventually the breaker... broke and an amp went up in magic smoke).

I have always turned the amps off by their switches though.

Bill Yacey
Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2011 10:28 AM      Profile for Bill Yacey   Email Bill Yacey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amps that have a switching power supply can have a ramp up time to charge the filters slowly, but more amps are of the older brute force power supplies, and these are the ones we need to be concerned about.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-19-2011 11:12 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The charging of capacitors is only part of the problem
Many amps use large torroidal power transformers and they have very high inrush currents until the core saturates
I do all our soundsystems with all processing equipment left on all the time and just the amps being powered off
On the large systems the entire thing is left powered up 24-7

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2011 09:14 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's how it was when I worked for Famous Players. The racks including the amps were left on 24/7.

In the day and age of " going green ", doesn't your clients have an issue with the power bill? Or does idling amps draw next to nothing?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: