Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Carbon arc lamphouse

Author Topic: Carbon arc lamphouse
Sigurd Wik
Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2011 04:42 AM      Profile for Sigurd Wik   Email Sigurd Wik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I have an Ernemann IV with a carbon arc lamp house, and I screen silent films on this projector. With it comes a low intensity rectifier, and therefore I use low intensity cinema carbons. First, do any of you know where I can buy these kind of cinema carbons in Europe? If not, anywhere in the US?

Also, someone told me to use a combination of 9mm and 14mm diameter carbons, and luckily I still have some left of these, but not that many. However, do anybody know which other dimension combinations that can be used? I ask this because I have some other dimensions lying around and wonder if some of them can be put to use.

Thanks,
Sigurd

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2011 06:51 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sig:

I think 6mm neg and 7mm positive would be plenty for your needs. Contact International Cinema Company (www.iceco.com). They may be able to help you.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2011 11:53 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sigurd, I am geussing you are running a small LI reflector lamp.
Normal Low Intensity trims are from National Carbon:
16-20 A, 54-57 V - 10mm pos, 7mm neg
21-32 A, 54-57 V - 12mm pos, 8mm neg
32-42 A, 54-57 V - 13mm pos, 9mm neg
42.52 A, 54-57 V - 14mm pos, 10mm neg

All the above carbons are black 8" long.

You might put a request in the equipment for sale / wanted part of this forum. Try Edw H. Wolk, International Cinema in GA. Should be cases of them somewhere and they last forever.

Robert, I think you were thinking of a small Suprex HI lamp.
Dick

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2011 12:34 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right Richard. I ran a low intensity operation in Cathlamet years ago and I remember those black carbons. I got them from a supplier in Portland whose name I no longer remember.

Sigurd Wik
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2011 05:07 AM      Profile for Sigurd Wik   Email Sigurd Wik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot! Yes, a small LI house with black rods of about 8" length. Will post a request.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2011 11:13 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have bought from CinemaCarbons.Com at The Landmark Loews Jersey.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-08-2011 11:41 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Roe in England still lists carbon rods on their website.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2011 11:02 AM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also Jack Roe USA in Nashville.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-11-2011 07:39 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Jack Roe in England still lists carbon rods on their website.
When I asked them last year they only had a few sizes left. I don't think there are any cinemas in the UK still using them now.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-19-2011 09:59 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last one I knew of was the Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle, but I think they went xenon after their refurbishment around 4-5 years ago.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2011 12:47 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the US there over a dozen theatres and performing arts centers that still use carbon arc and proudly advertise it as such, like the Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre. Another example is Copley Symphony Hall in San Diego, CA (ex San Diego Fox Theatre), which this Saturday will screen a 35mm archive print of the 1924 "Peter Pan" accompanied by the San Diego Symphony Orchestra. See http://www.sandiegosymphony.org/calendar/view.aspx?id=2156.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-20-2011 12:59 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that the Tyneside was the last to normally run carbon. There were a couple of places which retained one machine with carbon, and used it to run the odd reel, fur example if a feature was too long to fit on a tower, or to run adverts and trailers if they were a different format to the feature. There was at least one place which had a digital machine at the same time as one 35mm with carbon, but I can't remember where it was. If any of these are still using carbons then they will probably stop when their remaining stock runs out. There are a number of cinemas in India still using carbons, or at least were a couple of years ago.

When I asked Jack Roe about carbons they said that most of the stock which they previously held was now in the US, presumably because there are no longer any customers for them here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: