Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Digital is not ALWAYS better than film

Author Topic: Digital is not ALWAYS better than film
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2011 04:13 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, especially when you have a digital projector failure.

We have two digital units in our 13 screen complex, and we have now experienced our first outage. On Thursday, our CP2210 shut down. There were numerous calls back and forth to our tech people and we were unable to come up with an on-site fix.

So, this morning I met with our tech people and they went to work looking for the fix. After several hours of various downloads and attempted workarounds it was determined that the ICP board was the culprit.

This necessitates the shipment of a new board and installation of same. Best case scenario is tomorrow, but that is doubtful, meaning the auditorium is out of operation, probably for the whole weekend.....

Well, not quite. We were supposed to be playing the Justin Bieber 3-D extended version in the theatre where the failure occurred. This necessitated moving Justin to our other digital theatre (which is also equipped with 3-D). But.. I Am Number Four was playing there (also being presented in D-Box). So we were out of luck with I Am Number Four.

Well, not quite again. It so happens that we maintained our 35MM system in both digital theatres. And, as luck would have it, we were holding our 2-D 35MM print of I am Number Four with the possibility that we might return it to the schedule the following week. So, even though we have lost our D-Box presentation, we are still able to play I Am Number Four, and we will only be losing the D-Box revenue.

Point being, that if we had ripped out our 35MM equipment, we would have had a dark theatre for the weekend, AND we would have had no presentation of I Am Number Four.

I bring this up because some Film-Tech people have pointed out the possibility of getting stuck in the case of a digital failure. Well, it's now no longer a possibility for us, it's a fact. Consider also that while the CP2210 is still under warranty and we will get a new board, our owner is still going to have to pay for not one, but two tech calls (one to diagnose the problem, and one for the fix). And... don't blame our techs for that. I am told that the manufacturer doesn't want them to have the parts necessary until the problem is diagnosed.

Had we been an all digital theatre, we would have been [bs] out of luck on this one.

So, I have to wonder: What if you are a single screener out in the middle of nowhere and your system goes down on a Friday??

End of my story.

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2011 04:33 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good one! [Wink] I have heard a few stories like this around here but unlike you they rid them self's of that icky 35mm so they went dark! [beer]

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2011 06:08 PM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a second run 35mm in the middle of nowhere there are plenty of things that could shut us down for the weekend. If for an example I lost the rectifier there is no guarantee that I will be back up within a days’ time.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-04-2011 07:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A rectifier can almost always be repaired in the field that any service agency will stock. The same is true with most any projector part.

The same is not true with digital at this stage. Nobody is stocking ICP, PCMs, CCs, ...etc.

I too have had a digital theatre go down and was powerless to stop it...it died mid show and never came back...for me, it was a mediablock. Though I've had an enigma board get fussy.

If I owned a plex of any size, I would try to standardize on my projectors and keep spares on-site. The problem has been...things have been changing too much to stock much of anything. Also, those spares are very expensive as compared to film spares.

I do think, with the series 2 projectors that much of the changing in parts is going to settle for a bit...this should help in keeping spares on-hand somewhere nearby.

-Steve

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2011 07:51 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John T. Hendrikson Jr.
We have two digital units in our 13 screen complex, and we have now experienced our first outage.
John: How long have you had those 2 3Ds? I ask because you seem surprised that they have failed. [Eek!]

I don´t mean to be a prick, but get used to it. Not a week goes by without one of "my" digitals giving me a headache. I have been using all resources available to me to fight management NOT TO RIP OUT any 35mm when we "upgrade" an auditorium to digital. So far I´ve won all those battles. However I can feel it in my bones that my first defeat is coming sooner than later.

On their side I have to admit that EVERY SINGLE time that a digital went belly up for a considerable amount of time, we were not able to procure a 35mm print to try to salvage some of the lost income. [Frown]

I have come to accept this fact: There is no way that 100% of digital 3D machines (regardless of brand and model) will work 100% of the time in any multiplex.

While in 10 years I have never ever lost one entire day due to 35mm malfunction, in the first year of showing 3D I have lost 6 (non-consecutive) days in one particular auditorium.

[puke]

All is not lost, though. Not long ago, 35mm came to the rescue of his retarded cousin. See pictures below.

-

-

What you see is an SLC-40 igniter hooked up in parallel to a dead Irem Igniter (belonging to a CP2000XB). When it came time to start the show, we would manually strike the digital bulb from the 35mm lamphouse. [thumbsup]

HOW ABOUT THAT??

BTW, it remained like that for a month, until I received my spare igniter. Keep in mind that if there is an ass end of the world, I live in it.

If nothing else, be grateful that you live in the US and you don´t have to deal with customs.

Good luck,
Andrés

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-04-2011 07:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
John, although I know your post was pro-film, this serves as an excellent example of why theater should NOT mix-and-match different types of digital projection equipment within the same complex. They are setting themselves up for disaster. For example, lets say they have a Christie in the gargantuan screen, Barcos on all of the large screens, that oddball NEC they originally purchased as their first digital endeavor and then they signed a death certificate with Sony projectors for the small auditoriums. What happens when the large house goes down? Well...it's DOWN! At least if everything is the same within the building, in the event of a hardware failure, often the smallest screen can be taken down to save the big one. (This is why it is a good idea to consider putting in...assuming Christie projectors...a CP2230 in the smallest auditorium. Nothing says you have to burn a 6K bulb in it. It just becomes a machine you can rape parts off of to save an auditorium with several hundred more seats in until you can secure replacement parts.)

As far as the double service calls, that is something we strive to eliminate with our NOC service for the DCS systems. The field tech shouldn't even be bothered unless something catastrophic happens that requires physical service, but at that point, the NOC would have already pre-troubleshooted everything on the system and can alert the field tech as to what is needed to bring to the site. Of course even that isn't usually needed, as most often when something with a digital projector acts quirky the NOC can fix it on the spot without losing a show. We have extensive monitoring not found on any other system configured into the DCS for precisely this sort of emergency. [Wink]

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2011 08:23 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy,reading these posts makes me happy that I`m 88 years old and my most stressful times were taking an intermittenty apart to fix while the show was running; after all, the other projector was still operable.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-04-2011 08:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost forgot...I have also had two other projectors go down for in excess of one day...both were PCM board failures (which required restoring the settings for the projector.

In principal, I agree with Brad on standardizing on the equipment to avoid having to have multiple spares (or to have a lesser theatre to rob.

One nice thing about the series 2 machines, however...many share more parts than ever before. That is, in boards, ICP...etc all are becoming interchangeable between machines.

Barco has broken it down into two levels...the B-series (1.2" based) and C-series (.98" based)...between the three models in each series...just about 100% of the parts are movable between the models. The exception being the 12C is air cooled so it is "missing" parts the others have and it needs more fans. But that is about it. The modular nature of Barco would allow one to steal even the 12C's power supply to get a larger "more important" house up and going.

-Steve

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2011 10:04 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andres Briano wrote: How long have you had those 2 3Ds?

The CP2210- 4 months

If anything, I would have expected the CP2000ZX to go down. We've had that one a little over a year and a half.

Brad, to address your point, it would be nice if we lived in a perfect world. Then my owner would have all the money he needs and could convert the whole shebang and hire your service to boot. Unfortunately, things don't work that way. He is an independent with a 13 screen complex that has always been mix and match.

I know you can make the argument that he shouldn't be in the business unless he has the best, but again, it's not a perfect world. He can't get virtual print fees to finance conversion, and he doesn't feel that going the third party route to convert is in his best interest businesswise. He, like many independents, is being dragged kicking and screaming into the digital age, and 3D has been the whipping boy.

I can accept change in any business when the change makes financial sense. In his case, I'm not sure you can argue against what he is doing, simply what many other independents are currently doing, mainly. converting piecemeal as they can afford to do so, so that they can offer 3D in order to compete.

In the meantime, I got more news. Our Managing Director just emailed me that Christie will not ship the part to our service until Monday, so the earliest we can be up and running would be Tuesday.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-04-2011 11:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Never have I said someone shouldn't be in the business if they don't have the money for "the best". Your owner is correct though that the 3rd party solution carries lots of "gotchas" that they won't like once they get into it.

In regards to the DCS specifically though, there seems to be a lot of misconception that it is for the uber rich theater owners, and that is definitely wrong. Thus far in competing bids, the worst case senario was that we came in at $300 more expensive. In all cases thus far that was comparing the DCS with all of its features and energy management to a basic system of server, projector, some sort of pedestal and a JNior or simple automation that does the bare minimum like an ACT or MiT. We also have financing setup as an alternate option and the DCS doesn't mean his existing equipment on his 3D screens have to go due to its wide compatibility.

Believe me, I understand how difficult it is for the smaller theaters to afford digital, which is precisely why we setup the DCS in the manner that we did. The real problem is all of the brainwashing that is going on out there in regards to digital right now and a lot of the smaller guys are really being screwed.

Also, you can go to 3 of the studios right now and get VPFs direct. You only need to ask. (Warner, Paramount and Fox) There are other VPF deals in the works too. All of this is important because if everything is carefully analyzed, with financing and substantial savings through energy management and VPFs...converting to digital is something even the small guys can afford. They just have to make intelligent decisions on their equipment selections or the debt and operating expense will put them out of business.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-05-2011 06:09 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No surprise here: Digital is still in a state of flux. We KNOW all the problems of film and have worked out a system of support over the last 100 years. (site spares with DEALER stock.)

Perhaps in a 100 years, Digital will have grown to have the same models in all same-site-booths, along with SPARE PARTS!

That is what being PROFESSIONAL means. Louis

Nathan Powers
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2011 09:28 AM      Profile for Nathan Powers   Email Nathan Powers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It stinks but I think the mix and match scenario will keep being a common problem to most places. The digital projectors are much like iPods...there is always a newer and better one, and there are a bunch of brands all competing for a spot in your cinema. I have spent a great deal of time in the IT field and all I can say about that, everything changes everyday. Is Sony going to want you to be using the same storage and software solution in 10 years your using today? No, they will want you to buy the latest "upgrades" and everything will be EOL and unsupported at some point forcing you to upgrade.

The theatre I work for has a mixed an matched booth (Christie & Sony,). And we got that way by making sure we had the best on the market. That top of the line drive is what will push that mix and match forward.

The other thing that worries me about all this is the costs going up once digital is deployed everywhere. As it stands today there are third party companies that make gears and sprockets for your film projectors...will third parties make logic boards and other critical components for these digital devices? Probably not. So you are at the mercy of your vendor for parts, and more than likely, they will need the steady cash flow once digital is mainstream. And once that happens the price or running each screen will go up as then you have to factor in support contracts for every brand component, software maintenance agreements, upgrade expenses, OS Licenses, the list will get bigger. The projection booth will become more like a server room. Once these companies start these practices cinema owners will do what enterprise companies do, keep switching brands for the better long term savings. It will be a mess.

I hope it doesn't go this way, but based on what i've seen in other industries, it probably will.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-05-2011 04:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan; what you have described is here today. Louis

James Wallor
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2011 03:38 PM      Profile for James Wallor   Email James Wallor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John T. Hendrickson, Jr
So, I have to wonder: What if you are a single screener out in the middle of nowhere and your system goes down on a Friday??
I help operate a single screen "theater" on my university campus (we use the largest lecture hall, when the building was built back in the 60s they actually built a projector booth for slide projectors, and included exhaust vents specific to just those rooms) and... well, we're pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I don't know if any of you have heard of Michigan Tech or know where Houghton, MI is, but it's in the middle of nowhere in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Couple summers ago we purchased a Barco DP-2000, but kept our Simplex around. The Simplex kind of works... it has a completely custom automation system in it that was a "senior design" project for some students back in 2000, and the documentation on it isn't the greatest. A major problem happened when someone shorted a 120V line to the chassis and fried our lighting controller and destroyed some wires (the programmable controller seems to be unharmed, though). Anyway, I digress. A couple of times we've had issues where the harddrive for the movie doesn't get to us on time, or when it comes it's corrupt (and due to the issues of being a student, time to ingest the movie doesn't come until it's too late to get something in time for the first showing we had scheduled). What we've done in these situations is simply ordered up a license for a movie already out on DVD and we just play that instead and charge $0.50 (last time we did Zombieland... and for a comparison, our usual ticket price is only $3).

Other than harddrive problems, we haven't really had any problems with our digital projector yet. It has sometimes had communication issues where it'll project static, but that hasn't happened in a little over a year. Only other problem we had was it was overheating because there is a temperature sensor in the exhaust vent that we're guessing went bad, so we just bypassed it and made the fan work only by the switch, not the sensor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: