Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » JItter and ghost, shutter knob "racked" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: JItter and ghost, shutter knob "racked"
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2011 10:25 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our number one projector has developed a pretty bad gate jitter with some ghosting. I am able to clear most of the ghosting, but it requires the I turn the shutter adjusting knob all the way to the right. Even then, there's still a bit of ghost.

Regardless of the shutter knob setting, I cannot get the jitter under control. I've tried the trap tension knob, but no luck. This projector (Simplex XL) has always been a little unsteady, though there isn't any weave to speak of.

It seems as though I may need to work on the shutter. Anything else I should look at before going for the guts?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-05-2011 10:36 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it noisier than usual also?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2011 11:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the intermittent might be going bad. How are the oil levels? Also, have you tried re-timing the shutter by hand? That way you might be able to turn the knob enough to get rid of the ghosting. The allen screws that hold the shutter on to its shaft may also be loose.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-06-2011 01:17 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or the shutter drive gear being a fibre gear...

..or the vertical shaft isn't aligned correctly - with the upper section just barely meshing with the shutter drive gear creating too much slop.

Any brain wraps with this machine in the past? Wraps loves to knock things out of kilter with the machine when that film loves to make the machine suddenly work much harder than required..

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-06-2011 01:58 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok class, time for the Simplex XL shutter timing tutorial:

1: Remove sight box cover to access shutter hub and setscrews.
2: Set the shutter adjust knob to the middle of it's range.
3: Set the FRAME knob to mid-travel. (I'll explain why later.)
4: Loosen the shutter hub setscrews just enough to allow the shutter to turn with a good amount of drag on the shaft. It should NOT turn freely.
5: Now, using the hand incing knob or flywheel on the motor, carefully step the intermittent movement EXACTLY TWO sprocket teeth from the dwell (at-rest) position.
6: Holding on to the flywheel or inching knob so the mechanism can't move, CAREFULLY rotate the shutter so that one blade is EXACTLY centered over the aperture hole.
7: Tighten the shutter hub setscrews. If they are in a position that is not accessible (and IF you left them tight enough on the shaft so the shutter can't freewheel,)slowly turn the machine over by hand until you can get to the setscrews and tighten them up. Be careful not to rotate the shutter while doing this.
8: Turn the machine over by hand several frames then repeat step 5 and verify that the shutter's blade is still centered over the aperture area.

Now, why did I include step #3? Because the XL mechanism includes a shutter timing compensator for the varying positions of the frame knob, necessary since the intermittent sprocket physically rotates to change frame position. Setting it to mid-point (as well as the shutter adjust knob) will ensure that you have maximum ability to compensate for timing errors.

After doing all the above (which actually takes less time to do than it took to read), start the machine with no film.

From the NON-OPERATING SIDE, use a flashlight and watch the steel gear on the shutter drive assembly. As you turn the FRAME knob from one extreme to another, it should slide back and forth on the shaft SMOOTHLY with NO BOUNCING OR JERKING. If it bounces or jerks, the thrust spring in the shutter drive is bad and needs to be replaced. I offer rebuilt shutter drive assemblies on a repair-exchange basis.

In extreme cases of bad thrust springs, the bouncing of the shutter as it runs (especially with two-blade drive-in shutters) will result in travel ghosting on both the top AND bottom of bright images.

If the steel gear isn't bouncing around, then it is possible that, like Monte suggested, the fiber gear is worn or the vertical drive shaft is mis-aligned and causing slop.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2011 03:19 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector isn't any noisier than usual. In fact, it's a lot quieter than when I took over the place. It's amazing what removing rust from high rotational velocity pieces can make in the smooth operation of a machine. [Wink]

Oil levels are fine. No brain wraps, since we don't run platters, but there is something similar with the spool towers, which HAS happened recently. Fortunately, I was in the booth when it happened. The jitter had been there prior to that, so I don't think it caused a problem.

I was about to verify the shutter timing, as suggested. It's probably the simplest thing to check first. Thanks for the other info, Tony, re: the shutter drive assembly.

-David

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2011 08:36 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, adjusted the shutter positioning. It was WAAAY off. Probably 10 degrees. No wonder I couldn't fine tune it with the shutter adjustment.

So, the ghosting I can handle now. But I still have the vertical jitter.

I'll look at the drive assembly next.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2011 09:37 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, check the sprockets on the intermittent. I've had issues with a vertical jitter from a hooked sprocket.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-07-2011 10:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are your machines either the flat rail type or the curved gate/ steel band type?

I can see jitter with worn rails if the setup is the "flat trap" kind.

Also, if the picture looks kinda "pulsating", it could be a bulb that is focued too tight where it's more focused on the shutter than the aperture...

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2011 06:40 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, these are curved gate/steel band.

I believe that I now have the position of the shutter "perfect". I still have a ghosting issue at the very top and bottom of the frame. Nothing noticeable -- from the booth -- in the central portion of the image. Using the shutter adjust knob, I can transfer the ghosting from top to bottom, and vice versa, but can not get rid of it. I can get an even amount of ghosting at the top and bottom of the screen if I "center" the shutter adjust knob.

So, thinking about how this all works mechanically, if I have ghosting descending from high contrast material at the top of the screen, and ghosting ascending from similar material at the bottom of the screen, that would seem to indicate to me that the angle at which the shutter is set is too large. This is a standard two-bladed adjustable shutter.

Am I correct in my thinking, in that all I should have to do now is decrease the angle of the shutter until the ghosting disappears?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-11-2011 06:44 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. That will eliminate the ghosting, with some loss of overall light.

Troy Powell
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2011 07:33 PM      Profile for Troy Powell   Email Troy Powell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the shutter blade is burned at the edges.Check for that.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2011 12:10 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, thanks for confirming. Theoretically, this -- shutter angle --would not need changed after the initial setup, am I correct? If so, the shutter either wasn't properly set to begin with, or was diddled with later.

Given who ran this place before, I can easily see a conversation along the following lines:

Owner: "Hey, some guy told me we could get more light on the screen if we open the shutter more."

Employee: "Umm, but that would mean a bunch of ghosting on the screen."

Owner: "They won't notice it with all the extra light. Besides, where else are they going to go to see these types of movies. Give me that screwdriver. Where IS the shutter?"

[Wink]

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2011 07:28 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I just noticed that the shutter is moving back and forth a bit. Looking at the non-working side, I can see the shutter shaft operating like a piston while it spins.

When running, #2 does not show this behavior.

What would cause this kind of slop? Do I just need to open the back, hold the shaft in, and push the shutter back on the shaft?

-David

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-13-2011 08:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the shutter in my Simplex as far open as I dare, even at the expense of a tiny bit of shutter ghost.

I have a 31 foot wide screen and my lamp is only 2,000 watts.

I sat down in the theater and watched a few movies and thought about it for a while. "A little extra light?... A bit of ghost?..." I thinkered a couple of times until I found a setting that split the difference between the two.

No, not a 100% optimum setting but one I can live with. I have never had anybody notice. I have even pointed it out to a few people but they have a hard time seeing it even after I tell them.

The point I'm getting at is, maybe somebody at your theater made the same kind of decision but didn't think about it as carefully.

I suggest you reset it to the "proper" setting then go down and watch a movie and decide whether you want to keep it as-is or modify it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: