Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ushio for Osram XBO2000? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ushio for Osram XBO2000?
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2011 11:32 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know the Ushio equivalent for an Osram XBO 2000W/H XL OFR?

I'm thinking it's the UXL-20SC, but I wanted to check here first.

Also, suggestions for sources appreciated. You can pm those if you like.

-David

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-30-2011 01:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be the UXL-20R BUT they are not available in the states due to a Christie exclusive. As such, you would order a CXL-20R from your Christie dealer. I've done a shoot out with the CXL-20R against the Osram...the Christie ALWAYS has won in light and longevity.

-Steve

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2011 12:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a small chime-in on this one to agree with this as well-being the Christie is a tons better bulb than the Osram in this size application.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2011 01:17 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, thanks for the info.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-30-2011 01:43 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shooting a Christie CXL-20R down the pipe right now, as we speak.

No complaints here! It's bright and steady. It strikes on the first crack every time and, in my experience, they last the full warranty and then some with little, if any, trouble at all.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2011 01:55 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
definitely invest in the christie, they make a stellar product and i haven't had any issues with them

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2011 02:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..to add to this topic:

Bulb life, in general, is also dependent on bulb connections (clean and tight with no worn cabling), rectifier and cooling/exhaust conditions - all at their continual prime.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2011 11:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there IS an Ushio lamp that will replace a standard XBO-2000. It is sold by Ushio as a spotlight lamp however I do not remember the exact number off the top of my head. You also have to be careful about warranty claims on one if it ever happens since it SUPPOSED to be used in a spotlight like a sooper trooper. I have installed many in film projectors over the years. It is identical to a CXL-20R. Price wise it is hard to say which is the better deal... depends on the dealer pricing you normally get. Personally the X-L version of the XBO-2000 is by far the better deal with 100% warranty to 3500 hours and generally seeing pricing of at least a hundred dollars under Ushio or Christie pricing. I have yet to have an Osram X-L lamp fail... not true of the classic series though...

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-03-2011 06:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out on spotlight lamps...often they tie the ignition wire to the negative end since spot light lamps are often installed reversed as compared to cinema lamps. Again, the UXL-20R is the Ushio direct cross.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-03-2011 09:54 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you want a Ushio? As Mark said, the Osram is by far the better deal in the XL variety.

btw: pricing is identical to the classic, so we have never stocked anything except the X-L, unless the X-L is not made yet. There was a transitional time. Why stock something that is a bad deal for the customer? louis

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-03-2011 11:20 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll put a Christie/Ushio against an OSRAM in any projector, any time...I've never had the OSRAM come out on top.

-Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-03-2011 01:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I'll put a Christie/Ushio against an OSRAM in any projector, any time...I've never had the OSRAM come out on top.
Ditto, but I'll add I've never seen ANY other bulb outperform Christie/Ushio lamps.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-03-2011 03:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sell the Christie and the Osram; both beat ANYTHING else. louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-04-2011 06:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll definitley side with Louis on this but I'll go a step further and add that some of the LTI lamps have gotten to be really good since Phillips took them over in particuluar the XDC-XXXX series of digital lamps. The Osram X-L lamps have been 100% for me in terms of service. Not true of the Classis lamps though which have been touch and go for quite some time now. No arguements on Christie or Ushio and frankly they could easily both be offering the same warranty that Osram does on the X-L's.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-04-2011 10:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wanna see a Philips/LTI XDC4200S with a hole in the envelope?

-

117 hours on it ...

You oughta see how the standard Phi/LTI bulbs are like. you hold both ends, rotate the bulb and there is so much wobble that it's pretty horrible - like whoever is working the lathe is only paid peanuts.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: