Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS failure after brain wrap

Author Topic: DTS failure after brain wrap
Christopher Schaffner
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2011 02:16 AM      Profile for Christopher Schaffner   Email Christopher Schaffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we had a major brain wrap the other day(platter motor died) and now the timecode reader for the DTS can no longer sustain the timecode long enough to keep the digital going. I have checked the roller entering and leaving the reader, all nice and tight and straight, and also the roller feeding the film to the projector from the platter, also in its normal position. what else am i missing that I need to check to get the digital back up and running?

|  IP: Logged

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2011 05:31 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just some suggestions.
The film should not bounce in the reader head, tension and alignment is very important. If you are sure all alignment and tension is now correct this should not be the problem. What condition is the film in? Did it get damaged from the wrap? Is the TC cable connected firmly on the reader and DTS player? Do the TC rollers spin ok? Is the TC LED lens clean? Does this happen on other prints? Do you have another reader head you can swap from another screen to check?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-01-2011 08:47 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be simple roller alignment.

A real good brain wrap can pull up the top roller. Maybe that could have an effect.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 04-01-2011 09:16 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy things first.

Check the timecode led on the processor faceplate. If no timecode, then its upstream towards the reader so check the cable then on to the reader.
If there IS a timecode led, and the reader & cable checks out then onto the DTS unit.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-01-2011 09:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could have yanked up on the main drum assembly causing it to go out of alignment when you had the wrap.

But, there is an easy test to do:

If you have another house with DTS, swap the readers between the two. Undo the DB9 cable plug connection from the front of the reader and undo the two holding screws that mounts the reader to the bracket and do the swap.

Then assemble in reverse..

See what happens ... good luck-Monte

Christopher Schaffner
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2011 12:21 AM      Profile for Christopher Schaffner   Email Christopher Schaffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the ideas. All rollers seemed okay, I'll check with a micrometer if needed. We have ran 3 different prints with this projector and the problem persists, so it's not the actual film. everything worked perfectly before so I doubt it's the actual DTS unit. I do have 3 other DTS houses, I could swap the readers and see if the problem moves with the reader. all lenses are clean. That's the first thing I checked :] And the tc led on the actual reader and DTS unit constantly flash instead of being solid like they should be. [Mad]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-02-2011 01:10 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christopher Schaffner
And the tc led on the actual reader and DTS unit constantly flash instead of being solid like they should be.

..and that kinda shows that the drum did get nicked out of alignment since the LED isn't tracking timecode completely.

Then, you could be sneaky and take the inspection sticker off the front of the drum and, with a large blade screwdriver, tweak the adjustment screw to realign the drum a quarter turn either way until the green light gets back to steady.

..done that trick many times since not all prints are made perfect at the labs..

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-02-2011 02:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Swap readers first before you go altering the alignment. Jack is right, it could very well be an external roller issue. You didn't say what kind of platters you had. Is there a bounce between the platter and upper roller on the projector, or does the film travel smoothly from platter to projector?

Christopher Schaffner
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2011 10:50 PM      Profile for Christopher Schaffner   Email Christopher Schaffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, This particular projector is sharing a 5 deck Alpha with another projector. all film travels nice and smooth on both projectors. The issue is the reader, I swapped the reader from another house and the system on the other projector failed. Should I do what Monte suggested and try to re-align the drum?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-02-2011 11:00 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carefully inspect the reader before you do anything to it.

Sure, the drum could be out of alignment and it might just need adjustment but there are several other things that could be wrong. It could be the guide rollers or the shaft on the main drum are bent. You might even be so lucky to tighten a screw or something simple like that and have it working as good as new.

Always check the simple stuff first before you go tearing things apart.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-02-2011 11:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, it's easier to find stuff wrong with searching within the basics (like a bad thermostat that is stuck closed instead of wanting to replace the waterpump due to the car overheating..) and condemn those before diving in head first in the complicated without knowing what you're really getting in to..

..I'm just too gutsy and been around the industry too long ..lo

-Monte

Christopher Schaffner
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2011 12:02 AM      Profile for Christopher Schaffner   Email Christopher Schaffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried tightening all the screws, no improvement. nothing seems loose. This reader will become a spare so if it continues to not work, it wont be That big of a deal.
It would still be nice to fix it though. I have noticed that if you push the film slightly outward(towards the lens on the reader)it will pick up the tc and stay lit

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2011 12:59 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it pick up the time code even after you take your finger away allowing the film to go back to it's original position?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-04-2011 08:48 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christopher Schaffner
...I have noticed that if you push the film slightly outward(towards the lens on the reader)it will pick up the tc and stay lit
In that case sounds like something tweaked the focus on that reader...carefully turn the hex head on the lens out, then in, while running a film and see if you can get it back into focus. If that reader's heading to be a spare you've got nothing to lose by trying. Should not take more than 1/8 to 1/4 turn in either direction to bring it back in. Mark the start point carefully, if tweaking the focus doesn't work, return it to where it was at the start, then peel off the label and try the adjust screw for the drum.,

Christopher Schaffner
Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2011 03:58 AM      Profile for Christopher Schaffner   Email Christopher Schaffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chase, no, as soon as I take my finger off the film, it loses the timcode.
Tony, Thanks for the suggestion. I will set this reader up on another projector and try to get it working by doing that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: