Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Perf-Fix machine (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Perf-Fix machine
Robert Crewdson
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2011 05:13 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson   Email Robert Crewdson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am awaiting delivery of a perf-fix machine. Unfortunately, the seller does not have the instructions, and I can find nothing on the internet. Can anyone help me please. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-25-2011 05:31 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used one a few times, but it must have been about 25 years ago. I can't remember the details, but I didn't have any instructions, and didn't have any difficulty using it; I think it was pretty clear how it worked just from looking at it.

I'm just about to leave home to go to Oxford, on the Oxford Tube.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-25-2011 09:51 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't used mine in a long time as well, but I seem to recall that the threading path, such as it is, is etched on the side of the unit. But even if it is not, as Stephen says, it is fairly self explanatory.

Do you have a source for the Perfix tape? I had heard it is no longer manufactured. I'd be interested in knowing a source if you find one.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-25-2011 10:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

Christy's Editorial is supposed to be supplying it still (both A and B rolls).

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2011 07:19 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do have the manual, it's not the best manual I've ever seen, but if you need a copy, I might be able to make that happen.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-26-2011 08:42 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce, please contact me via email and I can get the manual posted in the Warehouse for everyone.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-26-2011 10:17 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Bruce and Adam, I have been wanting that manual too!! [beer]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2011 04:52 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have sent you an email, Adam.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-28-2011 10:38 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to reading the manual. I had no idea such a device existed.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2011 07:51 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We at the Temple Theatre used this machine and material to repair the totally destroyed perforations of "The Crimson Ghost" episode #8. The distributor was so sure we could not run the 35mm reel that they gave us a 16mm copy of that episode. We ran the 35mm reel after it was repaired. Because we used the Perf-Fix, the distributor was able to make a new duplicate copy of that reel from the one we repaired.

That was back in the earliest days for that machine. I believe about 1982 was when it was run. It preceded the movie and many people bought tickets to hear the organ and see the serial but left before the feature.

KEN

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2011 01:38 PM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please put me out of my misery, & kindly explain what a perf-fix machine is?

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2011 01:41 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a small machine that applies perforated tape to film in order to repair the sprocket holes so that you can run it.

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2011 02:38 PM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for that.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-29-2011 02:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a cinebug unit the best i found was the cinetreat machine

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2011 01:08 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater ran a "four wall" presentation of a Billy Graham produced movie in the 80s. The print we ran had a few reels that had been repaired by one of the Perf-Fix machines.
I noticed it because I wanted to get one of those machines, but the higher ups said "no."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: