Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Smart Showmation failsafe function failed

Author Topic: Smart Showmation failsafe function failed
Cameron Andrews
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2011 04:17 PM      Profile for Cameron Andrews   Email Cameron Andrews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if any of you have had this issue before. I have a smart showmation with the showgrammer II. All of the sudden (between shows) it stopped recognizing the failsafe. With a meter across the FS and COM terminals, I show continuity when the failsafe is loaded, does not show continuity when the failsafe is not loaded, and it is reading 5 Volts. Everything from the terminations on the automation board back to the failsafe seem to be working normally. It seems like it would have to be a problem in the automation itself. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-19-2011 05:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could call it the microswitch, or any connections in the failsafe to console and vice versa, that could be having problems with keeping the low 5volt voltage in a complete circuit.

Course, it could be amperage related with the SMART as old as it is (tired caps for starters) - we may see voltages at 5 volts across the load, but what condition is the "push" to make the 5 volts work? Put your VOM in series with the load to read your amperage..

If you can, swap out failsafe units amongst the other houses and see if this problem follows suit or stays with the one problem house.

Good luck as always - Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2011 05:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cameron... That junk should have been put to a death at the local rifle range via a 30-06 many years ago like we did with the Kintek Surround units from Boise!

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-19-2011 05:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the connections at the cointroler I am not sure what the failsafe switch voltage is but measure the voltage across the switch of another unit
My guess it is a problem in the micro or one of the logic relays on the controller board

Cameron Andrews
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2011 06:18 PM      Profile for Cameron Andrews   Email Cameron Andrews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried jumpering the FS and Common to rule out the failsafe and wiring. Still nothing.

And Mark... I completely agree. There is nothing smart about this smart. In fact this one is at the drive-in because I just replaced it at the in-door with a Kelmar. Carmike loved them so I inherited it. For the drive in all I need is the failsafe and outboard cue. That's all I need from it and the failsafe is the one thing that tanks. Why couldn't it have been the dimmer relay!!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2011 08:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you need some equipment at a good price let me know. I've been pulling out gobs of equipment and moving it all slowly to a warehouse in SLC.

Mark

Cameron Andrews
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2011 11:14 AM      Profile for Cameron Andrews   Email Cameron Andrews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark. But I've got a couple AM 5s kicking around. They aren't much better but it'll work.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-20-2011 04:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just pulled a half dozen Kelmar Series IV wall mount automations if you are interested in one or two. The AM-5 wold be better any day over the Smart(dumb).

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-20-2011 06:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One automation i always disliked is the Kelmar give me a Showman2 or a cinemation MKIV any day

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: