Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Philips xenon lamps

Author Topic: Philips xenon lamps
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2011 01:28 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, does anybody have experience using Philips xenon lamps?
one of our dealers send me a quote and they have a good price but i´ve never use this lamps.
usually we use Osram.

thanks guys

mike

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Schaffner
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2011 02:28 PM      Profile for Christopher Schaffner   Email Christopher Schaffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use 3kw Philips lamps in our 2 3d houses. They seem to be fairly reliable. We've never had any problems out of ours.

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2011 03:20 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Phillips in all of our screens and all work well (film and digital).

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2011 03:52 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now use philips digital bulbs and they're very reliable, never had an issue.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-24-2011 05:08 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prob when Philips bought out LTi, it does seem tht the quality of these bulbs have increased some due to the influence of Philips to get the QC up on these bulbs to a higher level, even though I'm still not at all crazy about them.

But since I don't have to buy them, but just use them and burn them, I'll go along with that they're a decent bulb out there.

Yet, I've had more probs with OSRAM's than these Philips in digital service and even with 35mm applications.

Still think Christies are the best bulbs out there.

Paavo Mardi
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2011 06:56 AM      Profile for Paavo Mardi   Email Paavo Mardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had 2kW LTI explosion in warranty time. Others ran for 3000 hours and started flickering. We now have Osram and some bulbs are hitting 5000 hours and are still fine. Stay away from Osram Classic series. I had some of these and all failed before 200 hours.

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2011 09:48 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Philips LTIs and haven't had many problems with them

maybe someone else can confirm but I find there's a window during which they really look the best, from like 500 - 1600 Hours, outside of which they have a pretty drastic drop off

also we've been able to run most of the bulbs to at least 2000 hours, some north of 2300

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-24-2011 10:35 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the Helios was designed for - to lengthen the dropoff of the light output of the bulb with having more xenon gas inside and the elongated envelope to handle the higher cold pressure of the gas.

"XL" (extended life) bulbs of the Osram are basically the same concept

I've had horrible luck with them in STRONG consoles and their switcher rectifiers. 2k bulb starting to flicker around 1100 hours and major fliker by 1400 hrs - well below their warrantied 2400 hrs. A Helios in a STRONG console on the same switcher has less warranty hours, but I managed to muster 2300 hours before it was flickering horribly.

True, they look good for the first month, then "blah"! - just flat looking light.

Your first 2 to 400 hrs on a standard 2k bulb of any make is where it's the brightest then it really starts to fall somewhat quickly - nature of the game.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-25-2011 07:00 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, that is incorrect.

The Osram XL is a new technology bulb with a long warranty and reduced blackening.

The Helios is a bulb that is initially brighter but after a short period is darker than a normal bulb. . . .150 hours? (Sorta like a slow motion flash bulb.)

The only problem with the Osran is that switcher power supplies and it are not compatible. Avoid Osran in switchers; go to them in all other rectifiers. Remember, in Europe most rectifiers are IREM; anything like that works great with an Osram. 100% warranty until then end. I typically see "double warranty" hours if technical parameters are complied with. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2011 09:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use LTI lamps in almost all of the digital projectors I install (Six just in the last week in fact). I've had zero problems with them. The only issue with them is there are still a few holes for them to fill with lamps. They need a 2kw and a mid sized 4kw to fill in their range and make it complete. Right now Osram is very slow to supply their 2kw digital lamps... about 4 to 6 weeks out.

I've had excellent luck with the Osramn XL series and long ago switched all my film customers over to them. I've had zero failures of them. With an extra 1000 hours of warranty on their 2kw lamps and a much much lower price than equivelent Japaneese lamps buying the more expensive lamps amounts to throwing your money in the camp fire. I have also not experienced any issues with XL lamps running on switchers over the last two years.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-25-2011 02:56 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hadden stocks the 2k Digital Osram bulb. No problem with resupply. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-25-2011 03:13 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do one uses in NEC units from Philips - Helios, or standard?

(sorry on the misconstrue on the Osram XL ... got turned around with that one...)

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2011 07:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"No problem with resupply."

Osram USA is out of them. 4 to 6 weeks out from Germany...

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: