Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » replacing toothed belt for lense turret? [Kinoton fp30 D]

Author Topic: replacing toothed belt for lense turret? [Kinoton fp30 D]
Kyle Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2011 04:39 AM      Profile for Kyle Morrow   Email Kyle Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again everyone,
The toothed belt that controls the lense turret on one of our Kinoton FP30D projectors has decided to snap, leaving the lense to swing freely to the heaviest point on a cued lense change.

I cannot find any data directly showing how to replace the belt here in filmtech, but before calling a techie out from one of the cities (Rural Cinema here) i am wondering if anyone has replaced this part before? If it can be replaced by myself i would love to attempt it, learn a bit more about the machine.
After hours of searching online this is last resort.

Thanks for reading.

Regards, Kyle.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-07-2011 01:23 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle,

Over 13 years ago, I had to replace one of the belts on my Kinoton at UC Irvine.

While I cannot recall all the specifics to give you step by step instructions, I can tell you it was a real pain in the butt, and not something I can suggest you try to do your self. Mine are the triple lens turrets.

Best to wait for the tech.

Perhaps Steve Guttag has done this repair recently and can offer up more advice.

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2011 11:01 AM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I changed a turret belt on an FP40 some years ago which I think is similar to an FP30. Its a bit vague now but I dont remember it being to difficult just a bit fiddly. After removing the lenses, I think I had to remove the top feed sprocket trap to get the inner rotating lens disc out where the belt sits. You somehow have to get the belt around the turret disc as you slot it back into the fixed outer housing. I think I ended up 'pinching' the belt around the disc with a piece of masking tape as I slotted the disc back in the housing. Then you have to tension the belt around the turret motor inside the machine after, of course, carefully aligning the metal turret guide wheels so that the turret rotates freely. I got there eventually. The turret ran happily for years after that until the machine was removed last month to make way for [dlp] . As Tony said Steve G may have a more professional way of doing it. Hope this helps. Tim [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-08-2011 11:43 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My method? Pretty simple really...

Remove lenses
Unbolt Lens Turret and discard
Bolt on single lens mount with 101.6mm opening
Mount lenses in PC Cine Adapters (Schneider "Century Precision version).

Works every time and you never need to change another pesky turret belt!

In all seriousness, I have zero turrets on the Kinotons I have installed and thus I have no experience with their "specialness". The only Kinoton turrets that we had to deal with as as service item were indeed replaced with single lens mounts but they were manual turrets on FP28s.

Hopefully, a Kinoton dealer/rep in your area can supply you with the needed information. I am unaware of any document that discusses changing the turret belt. However, I have never looked for one. As to the manuals, Kinoton prohibits anyone from posting them.

-Steve

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-08-2011 01:13 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL I like Steve's fix the best. [Big Grin]

Steve, (or anyone else who can help) could you drop me a PM with pricing/availability on a pair of single lens holders for my machines at UC Irvine? (And also if your company would be able to donate them with a receipt from the University for full retail value.)

I have hated those turrets with venom from day one, they are a huge waste of space and money for machines that run one-off shows once a week or less.

A funny footnote: I have found out that the University has lost the projectors in their inventory system. The facility manager has been asking me for any and all info I have about them as they try to locate them. I told him that if I had known that they were never accounted for I would have replaced them with a pair of 35/70s that were offered to me some years ago. [Big Grin]

Kyle Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2011 06:00 PM      Profile for Kyle Morrow   Email Kyle Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much guys, new belt is here collecting dust, I believe a techie is the way to go in this case, thanks again for the help.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: