Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby DA20 how many cables?

Author Topic: Dolby DA20 how many cables?
Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2011 10:40 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just purchased a Dolby DA20 and a Dolby 701 Reader.
I have a Dolby CP65 in my home screen room.
I'm running one E7 projector currently, no changover.
Are there only two cables or three cables to run this Dolby system?
The Manuals on Film Tech are not complete for installation.
Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-31-2011 11:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will need a cable between the reader and the DA20 for the "video" signal (Belden 8164). You will then need an audio cable between the CP65 and the DA20. Since you have a single projector, you don't need a motor cable but you do need to jump pins 1 and 5 together on the motor start so the DA20 thinks the motor is running. Lastly, an automation cable between the DA20 and the CP65, preferably via a Cat 410.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2011 03:23 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so it looks like 3 cables, correct?
1. I have the 701 reader cable to the DA20
2. The cable from the DA20 to the CP65
3. automation cable not sure about this one,
"via a Cat 410".
what cables go to what inputs?
4. already have the pin 1 to pin 5 on motor start.

Thanks again for your help.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2011 03:13 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
-Connect the 701 reader cable to DA20 J1(reader1). DO NOT power up the DA20 unless this connection is complete!!

-From DA20 J8 (audio out to Cp) male DB25 connector to CP65 TB4 (From digital).

-From DA20 J6 (Cp sense/control) male DB25 connector to CP65 J18 (automation in/out). Here you might add at CP65s end the Cat410 reversion accelerator as Steve rightfully suggests. It is a good asset but you can live without it (besides, it's your home installation).

If you have to make your own cables all the info you need is there in the DA20 manual. To make a video cable for the Cat701 connection is tricky and I suggest you find a factory made.

All the missing schematics you seek are here in the DA10 manual. The connections are identical.

C.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-01-2011 10:00 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christos says,

Paul,
-Connect the 701 reader cable to DA20 J1(reader1). DO NOT power up the DA20 unless this connection is complete!!

The DA20 can be powered up with no problem with no cables attached.

I believe what Christos is really saying is to never plug in the 701 cable with the DA20 powered up.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-01-2011 10:17 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This wiseguy says not to forget the power cable! Louis

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2011 10:50 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,
That's exactly what I meant.

Louis,
Yes. First things first! [beer]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-01-2011 02:22 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I have a CAT 410 and the video cable available, PM me with your email addy so we can discuss it.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2011 05:30 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help guys, and Christos, I found the DA10 Manual and it shows The things that are missing in the DA20 manual, most helpful.
Special thanks to Tony, for coming up with a Cat410.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-02-2011 08:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
This wiseguy says not to forget the power cable! Louis

You don't actually THINK the power supply in that thing is going to work do you Louis? [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: