Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Silver Screen and Dual Projector 3D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Silver Screen and Dual Projector 3D
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-08-2011 11:49 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Dual Projector 35mm 3D, is a silver screen necessary, or just recommended?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-08-2011 11:57 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes since the odds are you would use polarized filters on each projector

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-08-2011 12:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Panavision system can be done with a white screen.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-08-2011 12:34 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the Panavision system?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-08-2011 01:02 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similar in concept to Dolby 3D.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-08-2011 06:40 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that something new?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-08-2011 07:54 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similar to Tech 3D in that it is single film. Glasses/filters similar to Dolby. Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-08-2011 09:27 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panavision also works with D-Cinema as well, although I don't know if it has been implemented that way to date.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-09-2011 06:05 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting.

I while back I asked if Dolby 3D filters and glasses would work for film and the answer was "no" because the filters are aligned with the red/green/blue light that comes out of the digital projectors and since film uses yellow/magenta/cyan they wouldn't work. It sounds like you're saying that the Panavision system glasses are aligned with the yellow/magenta/cyan of film. If that's true, how would they work for digital projectors' red/green/blue light?

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-09-2011 06:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the Dolby system would work...BUT you would not have it color balanced and with no way to color balance it. As for Panavision, they do not create a dramatic color shift, it is done with comb filtering. It is entirely possible to do the Panavision system with 2-projector 3-D too.

Barco, now has a Panavision option for their projectors (Barco supplies the mechanism for their projectors on the Dolby/Panavision systems)...I presume Panavision has a rig, similar to Dolby's for other brands of projectors...except Sony, of course.

The Panavision and Technicolor 3D lenses are identical except for the filters so single lens 3D is also possible on film.

-Steve

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2011 12:12 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm..... where would you even get content? And have fun making sure everything is spliced just right on both prints.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-09-2011 12:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Content? Any of the Technicolor prints will run on the Panavision system. As for 2-projector prints...those too are available if you are on the right list...they would be of classic titles like Dial-M for Murder and such.

-Steve

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-09-2011 01:07 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he might asking about digital content (based on how the discussion drifted and all) and I would assume that regular 3D dcp's would be used but I could be wrong.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2011 02:41 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we're on it, has anyone had experience with PAINTING your matte white screen silver? Are they all crap or are there people who can really do this properly?

Is it possible to adapt the Panavision or Dolby systems to 35mm projection?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-09-2011 03:12 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panavision works with 35mm and digital.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: