Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » R.I.P Film Projectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: R.I.P Film Projectors
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-24-2011 11:05 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Fox News on 12-23-11

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/12/23/film-projectors-rolling-out-theaters-for-good/

The odds are good that the next movie you watch will be displayed by a digital projector. After a reign of more than 100 years, 35mm film projectors are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

More than half of projectors in use today are digital. And the world's theater industry will be completely digital in the next four years, according to Texas Instruments, which makes the chips that power many all-digital projectors.

Digital projectors make crisper pictures and enable 3D films. But will skipping the celluloid change your experience of watching the new Mission: Impossible or Sherlock Holmes flick? Absolutely, says Michael Harrison, a projectionist at the Tower Theatre in Fresno, Calif.

"The feeling [from a digital projector] is very plain and sort of programmed to me," Harrison told FoxNews.com. "Film itself has an aesthetic and an appeal and vibrancy of color, with some sort of life that's not in digital."

John Moses, an instructor in Film Studies at Fresno City College, agreed that digital projection tech might take the magic out of the movies.

"There's something maybe magical about the little scratches that cross the celluloid," he told FoxNews.com. "And the colors are going to be a little less vibrant."

Many Hollywood directors still prefer to shoot with film cameras as industry bible Variety recently noted: Among other things, they value the discipline of knowing they must wrap -- the end of the reel is near.

How a film is shot is different from how it's projected, of course -- but both affect the quality to your eyes.

Texas Instruments points out that a digital presentation will be cleaner -- there's no dust, jitters or splices, after all. And you'll no longer see the changeover cues, those black dots that appear in the corner of a film to let a projectionist know when the reels needs to be switched.

Digital cuts costs for studios too, since distributors no longer need to ship huge reels of film to theaters around the country. And films arrive at the local megaplex much faster via the matrix than via planes, trains and automobiles.

In the digital system, studios supply theaters with a downlink from their network that can be captured on the theater's management system. The theater operator then sets up playlists with the day's program, the movies and trailers that entertain theatergoers.

Yet smaller theaters may find it difficult to survive if they don't make the switch -- and the very high cost of installing digital projection systems may be more than they can afford.

"Studios and other companies are helping commercial theaters help the big chains make that conversion," Moses told FoxNews.com. "They're going to be less concerned with a small independent theater."

Christie makes projectors for sale to movie theaters around the world. Almost two years ago, the company went digital -- after making film projectors for over 80 years.

"Because of the economic advantages of distribution via digital content, I became quite concerned about the future of Christie," Jack Kline, president and COO of Christie Digital Systems, told FoxNews.com. "If we didn't have a solution we could actually become extinct."

The company Kinoton, which calls itself "one of the biggest manufacturers of professional film projection technology," declined FoxNews.com requests for an interview. But experts say most film projector makers are racing to build and sell new digital models.

Is Kodak, the company that single-handedly pioneered much of the film industry getting involved in the rush? Not so much, the company said.

Kodak recently told Variety that its film business was still profitable and quite viable.

"We're still making billions of feet of film and will continue to do so," Ingrid Goodyear, vice president of marketing said. "For the foreseeable future we still see film to be an important part of Kodak's business."

America's cinema industry is big business; it's the largest film industry in the world. Last year, box office numbers reached an all time high at $31.8 billion, according to the Motion Picture Association of America. Yet despite the big bucks, attendance is steadily falling, and expected to hit a 16-year low in 2011 -- something expensive 3D moves can only do so much to offset.

Digital projectors have helped those 3D movies take form and improve quality for the audience. For example the box office hit Avatar would have been impossible to achieve with film.

"It's given us better animation and dynamics not as practical on 35mm film -- and a clearer and more steady picture," Kline said.

Most of us aren't cinephiles -- we're not rushing to see the latest foreign film and are more concerned with comfortable, stadium seating than how the images hits the screen. But no one wants to lose the classics; Raging Bull, or Citizen Kane or Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Many small theaters are concerned that the transition might make movies that were printed on film obsolete.

"We need to make the best of the transition so that [film] won't disappear entirely and people can go to museums and see movies projected on 35mm," Moses said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/12/23/film-projectors-rolling-out-theaters-for-good/#ixzz1hWHMKYw7

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-25-2011 12:17 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great article, but it all boils down to getting "Hollyrock" to get movies out there that can have a good plot and storyline and get away from the tons of "eye-candy" and kiddie CGI stuff that's flooding the screens now.

..and put 3D back into the specialty movie closet.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2011 07:00 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
put 3D back into the specialty movie closet
I couldn't agree with you more Monte. Last year when my kids were here, they wanted to see a movie. It was in 2D, RealD and IMAX3D. I forget the prices, I think it was $7 then $8 then $10 per ticket. My son wanted IMAX, to which I replied that they were the enemy [Mad] , we "experienced" the cartoon in RealD. At the end of the show, my son went to put his glasses in the box right outside the auditorium exit. I told him to keep them and wear them as sunglasses or put them in the recycle bin at home, I paid for them. (it sucks going to the movies and shelling out $50 to a theater that I helped build and worked for the owner for 13 years).

The 3D 8/70 systems I set up were in amusement parks, so once you paid to get through the gates your admission to see a 3D film was to stand in line.

Rick "The Polarizer" Hamilton

P.S. I'm thinking of starting a company called "REEL D" actual 35MM film (I think I'll charge extra for the "film" effect) [beer]

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2011 09:32 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
And films arrive at the local megaplex much faster via the matrix than via planes, trains and automobiles.

Then why am I still rushing to get crap on screen by the end of thursday? My drives come via UPS (at 8am in the morning!) No one is at the theatre that early, so the drive arrives at 8pm on the return trip back to the UPS depot. So it's not getting to the projector until 9-930 wed night!

To be honest, I've run film for 20 years in all different formats and I've never had the problems in any film booth that I'm having with 16 Sonys, a Christe and a D-IMAX. The sonys have ingest crashes where the projector locks up at 100% of the ingest and you now need to totally reboot the projector (not just restart SMS) and now there's a phantom bug in them that shows the movie is still playing and counting down the elapsed time but has stopped on screen. Again, another reboot. Sony doesn't seem to know what causes it. IMAX's SMS is sloppy at best. It doesn't stop when you press stop, the SMS crashes, you can't ingest while running and its USB ingest only!!! The only projector that is any good is my Christie. Its so good, we forget about it sometimes. These Sonys are a nightmare and unfortunately, they have the best conversion deal out there.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2011 09:55 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then why am I still rushing to get crap on screen by the end of thursday? My drives come via UPS (at 8am in the morning!) No one is at the theatre that early, so the drive arrives at 8pm on the return trip back to the UPS depot. So it's not getting to the projector until 9-930 wed night!
That's still a hell of a lot better than Brakewater dropping prints off Friday morning at 1am, and having to rush to build them up before your first show at 10am.

And I am wondering if it matters much of this "news" "article" is, like many "news" items through Fox News, neither fair nor balanced?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-25-2011 01:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bernie Anderson Jr
These Sonys are a nightmare and unfortunately, they have the best conversion deal out there.
Aaaaah, yes. ANOTHER fine compliment to the Sony system. For most people it doesn't matter how many times you say it, it just doesn't compute.

When calculating a financial decision, a proper decision should not be based upon the price. It should be based upon how much it will cost.

Case in point, buy the Sony package and it will "cost" you damn near into bankruptcy because of the extreme operating expenses. Buy a standard Barco/Christie/NEC setup and your "cost" will be somewhere in the middle. Buy a Film-Tech DCS and the "cost" is the cheapest out there.

Too many decision-making people failed math or simply don't understand the difference between the word "price" and "cost". [Razz]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-25-2011 02:33 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the spirit of the season, I will be generous. . . .

I DO believe you expect too much from the "suits." After all, they are just like us only with nice clothes and good hair. They do not miss the "blonde bimbo" very far.

In the words of one of my former employees: "Poor people can't afford to be this stupid." Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-25-2011 06:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Case in point, buy the Sony package and it will "cost" you damn near into bankruptcy because of the extreme operating expenses.
With a little luck that might just happen to Regal and AMC... or at least force them to sriously rethink many of their locations... It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys!!

Mark

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-25-2011 07:14 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you not have a delivery room? We get most of our drives by Wednesday morning - some come as early as Monday. In the 18 months or so that we've had digital, I don't think I've had more than 2 drives show up on Thursday.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2011 02:53 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
Digital cuts costs for studios too, since distributors no longer need to ship huge reels of film to theaters around the country.
So why is this not being passed on to the customers in the form of LOWER PRICES? It's also sad to see yet more comments here that there should be fewer 3D movies because they don't want to pay extra for them- the solution to that is to drop the premium charged for 3D. Couldn't help but notice a link to something else about "Why fewer families are going to the movies this year" too.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-26-2011 08:13 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hardly surprising that Foxnews is reporting this issue in the usual Fox Limited News full-of- [bs] style. It's obviously no coincidence that Fox is also a non studio-participant in the Technicolor 3D film-based 3D system.

Tossers. [fu]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2011 08:40 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like others have said, I'm still waiting to see the hard drives arrive more than a day or so before the opening. Why is this? I sure cant play the thing unless I have the key!!!

I'm still having to ingest at each projector!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-26-2011 09:19 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce, What system (TMS/LMS) are you using that would necessitate ingesting at each projector? If you have it even on the same day one should have enough time to ingest at the LMS and push it to the theatre(s) needed.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-26-2011 12:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Booths with SONY's desparately needs TMS operations - only sane way to do ingests without problems.

quote: Brad Miller
don't understand the difference between the word "price" and "cost".

Obviously, no research wasn't performed prior to purchase then..

Newbie question: what makes the SONY units, high cost in operational expenses?

Robert Carnino
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2011 12:13 PM      Profile for Robert Carnino   Email Robert Carnino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bye Bye film..Can't wait to go ALL DIGITAL!!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: