Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Incandescent wattage to LED lumens? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Incandescent wattage to LED lumens?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-17-2012 04:07 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need to get LED lamps for wall lighting; is there any conversion formula, even an approximation, for incandescent wattage to LED lumens? On household CFLs they usually say 23w is equal to a 75w incandescent bulb.

On these newer LED specialty lights (we are looking at super bright LED flood lights for up-lighting wall treatments), they don't say that - -they just give lumens. It would be really nice to have an incandescent equiv for lumens.

|  IP: Logged

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2012 04:29 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most packages of incandescent lamps will have both watts and lumens listed. You can use that a a guide. That is what I do.

Tom Mundell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2012 05:21 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From U.S. Department of Energy
quote:

To replace a 100-watt incandescent bulb, look for a bulb that gives you about 1600 lumens. If you want something dimmer, go for less lumens; if you prefer brighter light, look for more lumens.
Replace a 75W bulb with an energy-saving bulb that gives you about 1100 lumens
Replace a 60W bulb with an energy-saving bulb that gives you about 800 lumens
Replace a 40W bulb with an energy-saving bulb that gives you about 450 lumens.

I just recently replaced all of the bulbs in my appartment with LED's and I found this to be about right.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-17-2012 07:43 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that light output with incandescents is essentially constant throughout the life of the bulb. This is not the case with LEDs.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-17-2012 08:06 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MOST helpful, Tom. Tanks. That's really all I need as a rough reference.

Bruce, they seem not to be giving wattage equivs on these specific LEDs, at least not in the specs on the website, the way they do on consumer packaging. These are really for the industrial market so all they give are the lumens in the specs, which I guess will slowly become the standard light output measurement as we move away from incandescents; we will have to learn to translate lumens in our heads. If how we did on the metric system is any indication, we are going to be in sorry shape...heh heh.

Scott, they are getting better at that consistancy of late. Seems they keep improving everything about them from price to their stability over time to the more eco-friendly the stuff inside them as compaired to the relatively nasty stuff inside CFLs.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2012 12:25 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But try putting one of the "dimmable" LED bulbs on a dimmer. Tried this at a lamp store. Could only get it to dim to about 50%. Still haven't gotten the color right, either. Looks industrial. Energy efficient, but I think they suck.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-18-2012 01:10 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a "dimmable CFL floodlight" a couple of years ago to try out, since I have floodlights in my auditorium and I was thinking that I could save a bit on the power if I start changing the existing incandescent bulbs to CFL's.

I rapidly discovered that I could dim that CFL to only a certain point (that wasn't very dim) before it started flashing on and off. So I'm still using incandescents. I ultimately used that dimmable CFL as the light over my front door until it died.

Side note: Contrary to what appears to be popular belief, CFL bulbs do work in extremely cold weather (-40 degrees). They just take a while to warm up. I use CFL floodlights in my outside fixtures over the doors; they are on an automatic switch that turns them on at dusk and off at dawn. When it's really cold they give off a dim pink light for the first fifteen minutes or so, and then after that they run just fine.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2012 03:41 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
I rapidly discovered that I could dim that CFL to only a certain point (that wasn't very dim) before it started flashing on and off.
Fluorescent lights tend to start flashing when they fail so I would be wary of using them in auditoria even if they work when new.

The dimmable lamps designed for retrofitting into existing fittings have the disadvantage that they are controlled by the power supply, rather than a control system designed for them.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2012 04:58 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dimming ability of LED lamps is for the most part pretty good, much better than the 50% Jim mentioned. And they are constantly improving. Most work well with Triac based dimmers, although some work better with FET (reverse phase or trailing edge) dimmers.

The big problem with LED dimming ability is a perception issue. Since incandescent lamps have a major color shift to the orange-yellow color temperature when dimmed, it appears they dim much lower. However in tests done with many different LED lamps and a light meter, I have seen many go down to 5% to 10% of maximum light output. But without the color shift, it still looks brighter to the eye.

As far as lifetime is concerned,we will just have to wait and see how they do over time.

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2012 10:24 AM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the LEDS is that they are "dimmable" but not theatrical dimmable. We have some installed and they "Pop on" and also are very finicky with flicker at certain levels. What they need to have is some thing like the

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM3445.html#Overview

But I havn't found any lamps with this incorperated yet.

To answer your original question we replaced 100watts with 12.5 watts and they are slightly brighter.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-18-2012 11:33 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding color shifts when dimming: wouldn't it be possible to design LED lamps and/or fixtures to provide that effect? There are some neat LED assemblies designed for planetarium cove lighting that can turn the dome any color that one desires. Same for the lighting for the interior of the Boeing 787. It seems that this should be easy enough to apply to theatrical applications (although, admittedly, it would probably require entirely new fixtures and/or electronics and would be scarily expensive, at least for now).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-18-2012 04:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Middle Atlantic Products (racks) have a nifty rack light that we have used (combo with a power strip) and what it does is has a mix of orange and white LEDs in it. What really dims is the white LEDs so as the user dims the light, the color progressively shifts orange. That sort of scheme could be used.

-Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-18-2012 05:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago i designed and had built some art deco wall fixtures (metal work was by the original company who built them in the 30's) and i used LED modules from tempo industries and they just required 9v AC and they dimmed almost to black with out any issues
 -

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2012 08:37 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lack of ability of CFLs to dim well was noted above.

I've not played with dimmable CFLs, but do dim fluorescent lights regularly; a new fluoro tube needs "running in" for at least a hundred hours (and preferable a few times that) before it'll dim reliably. I wonder if CFLs have the same feature...?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-20-2012 09:40 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordy - MOST EXCELLENT lights!! You amaze, my friend.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: