Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » cable labels

Author Topic: cable labels
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-25-2012 09:51 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is everyone using for cable identification (in a sound rack or similar)? I have been using a handheld label machine (of the type that is sold in office-supply stores) that prints on white tape with black characters; I then cover the labels with clear heat shrink. This cannot possibly be the preferred method.

Is everyone using label machines that print onto heat shrink directly? Which is the best, and are there any to avoid?

Is there some other method that works well?

|  IP: Logged

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2012 11:56 AM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a Brady BMP21, it has your standard polyester labels, and for wiring you get a choice of cloth, self-laminating vinyl (my favorite) and heat shrink labels. Great product for the price.

I also have a Brother with a usb cable I use to preprint labels for jobs on self-laminating vinyl. My CAD software sequentially makes up wire numbers as I go then I just hit "print". When I run out of labels, I know the wiring is done.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-25-2012 05:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dymo makes a wire lable unit that is so so
I puechased a package of Brady self laminating laser printer label sheets

Gary Wachter
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2012 07:21 PM      Profile for Gary Wachter   Email Gary Wachter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

If you already happen to have a Brother P-Touch Label maker, there are flexible laminated labels just for that purpose in various widths. The label makers are inexpensive (bought one that handles the wide tape for $24.95 at Office Depot) and the label cartridges run about $20 on-line. The labels can be wrapped around the cable flush or pigtailed.

-

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-26-2012 09:05 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dymo RhinoPro 4200

You can use the device for wire labels and normal labels. Label cartridges are in general supply in most office supply stores around the world.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-27-2012 08:02 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best I've ever found, and have stuck with it now for decades, is the Brother P-Touch that connects to a PC, then use their TZ that Gary posted. Can't get much better or easier than that. Plus, you have a database of every lable you print so when you are doing multiples, you make them all look identical without wasting time reconstructing them.

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2012 03:22 AM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or have a look at

http://www.cabelabels.com.au/

...have used this system many times with good results.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-08-2014 08:37 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 554 days since the last post.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-08-2014 08:37 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the self laminating tapes, the Brady is not too expensive but maybe a little chunky? Does anybody know of a smaller labeller with self laminating tapes available? It's ok if narrower than 24mm

Thanks

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-11-2014 06:08 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody? What about slightly larger - and maybe more flexible - labels to be wrapped longitudinally around the cable? I really don't like using the label as a flag.

Gary Wachter
Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2014 09:57 PM      Profile for Gary Wachter   Email Gary Wachter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can wrap around the Brother flexible tape. It is available in multiple sizes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: