Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Home speakers vs. Cinema speakers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Home speakers vs. Cinema speakers
Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2012 07:00 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one...

What makes cinema speakers a better match for movie theatre use than good high powered home speakers? I can't imagine that it's just the wattage rating...

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-16-2012 08:02 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see:

Coverage patterns, frequency response, efficiency, (also as in SPL output capability), durability, and many other factors that differentiate between "Near Field" listening in a home application vs. the "Far Field" of a cinema.

Just for starters.... [Big Grin]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-16-2012 09:09 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I side with the argument that a cinema is a near-field environment. Let the flames begin!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-16-2012 09:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's like saying, "All crows are black."
The statement may or may not be true, depending on how you frame the question.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-16-2012 10:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This probably would be covered by the near-field/far-field question, but I'd think even "good high-powered" home speakers would sound weak and anemic in a huge room like a movie theater.

When I was a DJ back in the '70s/'80s, we started out using home speakers because we didn't have the $ to buy real professional gear. We "borrowed" the top-of-the-line speakers from our store (and marked them down substantially) for our first few gigs. After that we home-built some Speakerlab Model 7s, which were very good, but still not great for large rooms like gyms.

Then when we had some bucks we bought real pro-type Cerwin-Vega speakers. (Model PD-18B, for those who know about these things.) I was stunned at how much better the CVs sounded than the Pioneer and Technics home type speakers we had started out with.

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-16-2012 10:19 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually curious about what motivated the original question.

Are we possibly considering putting home theatre speakers in a cinema..?

If this was in the Afterlife forum I might wonder if it was the other way round -- putting cinema speakers in a home-theatre. But it's not. It's here in the FHF. So, I'm curious/concerned.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2012 10:48 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of doing things with reasons. Never because "we've always done it that way before". Have heard people ask that question before, and even seen and heard people (strangers) point to surrounds on the wall, and tell each other that they're the same as what you have at home.

As a few people here know, I'm gathering knowledge and some soon-to-be rare equipment for my to-be home theatre. But no, not speakers yet. So why not ask now, I ask. Oy...

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2012 02:10 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strikes me that I didn't answer your question there. Yep.

Eventual goal: home screening room with both video, 35, and 70. Room size? Have no idea yet, and won't til the house is closer, but I'm sure it will be a build-out.

Nearer goal: knowledge under the belt. Why do people choose what they choose?

Does that put things in context? Now back to the flame wars.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-17-2012 11:54 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim: Here's your speaker solution right here: QSC [thumbsup]

Guess what my next purchase order from QSC is gonna include? If the price point is anything like the rest of their line it is gonna be money well spent, and probably cheaper than a set of "high-end" home speakers. (Oh another thing you need to consider: A lot of high-end home speakers are sold in PAIRS only..so you're gonna have an extra stage speaker you'll not need. )

All other factors aside, if you are looking for realistic cinema sound in a home screening room, only genuine cinema speakers are going to get you there, period. As I presented in another thread a while back, cinema sound is mixed specifically with a cinema environment and speakers in mind.

No flaming necessary Manny...But you are wrong. [Smile] (And right.) The classic definition of near field audio is any point where you are at or closer than, the distance between speakers. So, for the majority of auditoria, the main seating area is NOT near-field.

Now a home screening room, will mainly be a near-field environment (exception: Brad's room. [Smile] ) and it is a rare speaker that can cover that well. My experiences with QSC's speakers so far have proven that they work quite well (but not optimum) in near-field. But much better than any of the JBL's I have tried so far. [Smile]

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-17-2012 12:33 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember the entire argument with great accuracy (it was a while ago) but I do recall that one factor alone did not make an environment near- or far-field. Rather, *several* items on a sort-of "checklist" had to be true before declaring something far-field, and one of them was that in a far-field the SPL drops -6dB when distance is doubled. Seems like it would depend on the size of the auditorium. My hunch is that most cinemas are too small to reach this threshold.

Yes, we're sitting further away from cinema loudspeakers than home theatre speakers (or studio monitors) so I can understand the impulse to make that (alone) the determining factor, but they're also a heck of a lot bigger/more powerful, and a (good) cinema is relatively dead so, when we factor in scale, the overall effect is similar to near-field listening.

[Note: I'm only referring to the main loudspeakers. I'd readily accept that cinema surrounds are far-field.]

I've never heard or read anything about the distance between the speakers being a factor. This is not to say that it isn't -- I'm not claiming to be an expert in this area -- just that it's yet another qualifier on a growing list of criteria of near/far-field differentiation.

Let's say for a moment that the distance between speakers versus the distance between listener and speaker was the litmus test for this. It would mean that some home theatres are near-field and some are far-field, depending on where the speakers are placed. It would also mean that some seats in a cinema may be near-field, while most would be far-field. And, yet, a major point of cinema standardization is to render all seats essentially equal. Obviously, they are not all equal, but is there really *that* much of a difference in a well-designed cinema?

I honestly don't know the answer, but the question is interesting. It all makes me curious what a definitive "text book" answer would be.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-17-2012 03:11 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to build a real cinema room with real projectors, use real cinema equipment. Make it genuine top to bottom. If for no other reason than you'll regret it otherwise when you take a pro on a tour and they say "Okay, but why did you go big here but not here", which will leave you regretting doing what you did there.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-17-2012 07:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
Jim: Here's your speaker solution right here: QSC [thumbsup]
Nah, this is the way to go. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Seriously, QSC speakers really can't be beat. I couldn't be happier with them. To anyone that hasn't tried them, you really don't know what you are missing. (And yes they work spectacularly in small rooms too.)

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2012 11:30 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a *great* debate. You guys are tremendous.

I read a good argument for full featured cinema speakers in a large room. I'm with you. I get it. But what about the small rooms where the throw is 20 feet or so? And there are a lot of them. Probably the reason that scope lenses officially focus down to 17 feet.

Brad makes the point that the QSC's sound really good in a small room as well as a large, but for that small room, is it worth the difference in price from good sounding well powered home speakers? *Is* there a big difference in price? I'd imagine so. (new out of the box, to compare apples to apples)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-18-2012 10:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't really a debate...one need to really look at what one is trying to do and what the tools available are to do that job. Any debate can be over what one thinks happens to be the best sounding this or that.

quote: Jim Henk
Have heard people ask that question before, and even seen and heard people (strangers) point to surrounds on the wall, and tell each other that they're the same as what you have at home.
Again, one need look at what was being done with surrounds when "bookshelf" speakers were used as surrounds (or even worse quality...say just 8" woofers in a box)...Surrounds started out as an "effects" channel only...with rare exception, there was no fidelity sent to them where any sort of accuracy was needed. This was true for all formats before digital except 70mm magnetic, Fantasound, Cinerama...etc...those sorts of formats. Even 35mm magnetic put relatively small demands on the surrounds and lack of frequency response would only help hide the hideous 12KHz pilot tone.

The SVA sound track with surrounds had an inherent frequency response of 100Hz-7KHz...not exactly high-fidelity. Its dynamic range was also VERY limited. It wouldn't be too much of a challenge for a "home" type speaker to reproduce. Furthermore, they were place, relatively, close to the listener and recommended to be in great quantity thereby lessening the demand on each speaker. The business side of things would also look at surrounds being 8-24 speakers per auditorium (by and large)...so lowering the cost per unit would be an incentive to not go crazy with them.

With digital audio...all of that changed. The surrounds are now a full range channel with potentially full power demands too. A bookshelf speaker with a typical 88-90 db 1W/1m will not be able to deliver. As we move into dividing the surrounds up into smaller channels...each channel now has more demanded of it since only one or two speakers may need to "reach" the entire auditorium.

As to the stage speakers...the big magical thing about cinema speakers was, traditionally, that they concerned themselves about

1) Playing through a screen
2) Must reproduce dialog with high intelligibility.

In 2-way systems, the 500Hz crossover point was not chosen by chance...it was done to keep the crossover region as far away from the dialog as practical. Getting the timber of two different drivers to be identical is near impossible...which is another reason to keep crossover points away from the dialog region.

With 3-ways...we now have the crossover point, more often than not, in the dialog region (mid to high) and it is a reason, I feel that most 3-ways suck and don't have the clean crisp dialog of a good 2-way. QSC had done a VERY good job on their 3-way/4-way systems...most others have not. I'll take a good 2-way over a cheap 3-way, every time.

So keep in mind what you are trying to reproduce when choosing a speaker.

Make sure you have sufficient efficiency in the speaker and enough amplifier power behind it for your room. That will require math but it isn't that hard.

The other issue is playing through a screen. Domed tweeters generally don't do so well and projecting through the screen...they are more likely to splatter off the screen. Even those that have tried ribbon tweeters found they need to put a horn in front of them.

I can generally tell when a horn is being used versus something softer, like a dome. I will say, the newer shorter horns, like those on QSC (and others) tend to make the horn sound less pronounced.

Like so much in life, there are compromises when choosing equipment that best achieves as many goals as possible.

I would caution against going with speakers that are too large for the room because I've found that they will never image right...one has to sit back far enough for the various points of the speaker to sound like one.

As I am considering my own home theatre...I'm leaning towards using Altec 604 drivers...2-ways in a coaxial formation and then making suitable cabinets similar to the Altec 620. But that is me.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-18-2012 02:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Seriously, QSC speakers really can't be beat. I couldn't be happier with them. To anyone that hasn't tried them, you really don't know what you are missing.
Having just ordered a bunch of them, I am very happy to read this! (Although I've had QSCs on my "wish list" for years.) [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: