Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Relative size of the screen

Author Topic: Relative size of the screen
Sergei Filippov
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2012 10:26 AM      Profile for Sergei Filippov   Author's Homepage   Email Sergei Filippov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I investigate the reception of film. One of many interesting problems in this field is the relative size of the screen - i.e. screen width and height in relation to the hall length.

I would like to ask for your help in gathering this data. In particular, I would very much appreciate your sending the following information on the cinema where you are working: city/state, cinema house name, screen dimensions, hall length and/or projection throw and/or focal lengths of the lenses used in your cinema.

Any additional information is also very welcomed: the year of the erection / the last renovation of the cinema, the number of halls, the year of the installation of current screen, the distance from the screen to the first row, seating capacity of each hall et cetera.

For your convenience, I put a simple form on my site that is easy to fill in. You can also leave this information right here. Otherwise, please email me along with any questions that you may have.

Thank you in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-21-2012 10:44 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PS: While "erection" can refer to something simply being erected, it has a strong sexual connotation.

Just giving that as an FYI for our new non-English speaking member. [Smile]

Sergei Filippov
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2012 12:31 AM      Profile for Sergei Filippov   Author's Homepage   Email Sergei Filippov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, in my native language the word "erectia" has the sexual meaning only.
What word should I use in English? The year of the construction? building?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-22-2012 01:30 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Year of construction is fine, though you could put it other ways (like "year the structure was built" and others).

And the word you used wasn't "wrong." It's just that the sexual meaning is used so much more often than the others.

Sergei Filippov
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2012 03:02 AM      Profile for Sergei Filippov   Author's Homepage   Email Sergei Filippov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. I've corrected the form on my site.
I know that the word isn't compeletely wrong (I saw in the literature), but I want to make my investigation rather less sexual...

Sergei Filippov
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2013 05:19 PM      Profile for Sergei Filippov   Author's Homepage   Email Sergei Filippov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meanwhile, I found that in my country the average scope focal length in the modern houses is about 69 millimeters (according to the post in the Russian version of this topic).
And what about your?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: