Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » cinema speaker brands (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: cinema speaker brands
George Murray
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2012 10:46 PM      Profile for George Murray   Email George Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of the 5 major cinema speaker manufacturers being jbl qsc klipsch sls and electrovoice which one would everyone say is the top of the line and does anyone have any experience with the SLS brand they appear to be higher end products that use a proprietary ribbon driver.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-29-2012 10:55 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Current top of the line will be QSC, hands down. They really sound great, are durable and have a great price point. JBL is a close second.

Klipsch? Overrated garbage, totally suck for cinema and as Joe Redifer would say, sound like ass.

EV? At one point, not a bad speaker (I used them at a location in the mid 1990's, they didn't sound bad but the subs kept blowing out and were replaced with JBLs) but I cannot vouch for the current product line. Since QSC's are so good and JBL's are proven, I'd avoid current EVs.

SLS? Never heard of them but ribbon drivers aren't a good idea for the high SPL's they would encounter in cinemas. And what are you gonna do when the company goes tits up or discontinues their "proprietary" ribbon driver? Why trust what is essentially a "no-name" brand when your livelihood is at stake?

Bottom line, stick to QSC or JBL, EV as a last resort. Buying the wrong speakers is gonna be very costly...remember you'll need to drop the screen to change them out, plus the tech time to redo them.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2012 09:50 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having E\V speakers installed about 3 years ago they are not bad but certainly not the best. As Tony said their subs really are the weak link. There's not nearly enough bracing and they do sound decent there are defiantly better ones out there. Having used QSC amps and herd their new powered speakers I can vouch that if it says QSC its going to sound good.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2012 02:40 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have never had an issue with EV subs nor the late Neville Thiele bass refex box designs (this guy invented the maths that made the ported box work). Yes EV had a smaller voice coil but they did go much deeper than the JBL designs in the early 90's. A quality over quantity thing. I remember getting -3db at 25hz with only one DL18w woofer!

Plenty of JBL subs were blown up when digital audio was new too!

If you don't have great quality audio with an EV cinema speaker or any of the other cinema brands then its been installed and eqed badly. The difference between brands is pretty subtle, noticeable in a side by side demo but dialogue and music should be crystal clear no matter what brand.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-06-2012 04:37 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm totally with Tony when it comes to speakers with one exception: QSC's I have no experienc with. Should be good, though, you guys like them and people I trust work there: Barry Ferrell.

EV's seem to "blow up" with little or no provication; 97% of my customers had JBLs, but I sold 50 EV voice coils for each JBL coil. louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-06-2012 08:04 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
If you don't have great quality audio with an EV cinema speaker or any of the other cinema brands then its been installed and eqed badly.
Cameron, a certain very experienced Dolby technician would find that statement highly offensive. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] He was favorably impressed with the sound quality (as I was) and the system required surprisingly little EQ.

(At the time of that install, my RTA was out for calibration so I called in Dolby to do the B Chain.)

As Louis' experiences pointed out, (and I am sure he know how to properly EQ a system) EV's suffer in the durability department.

Bottom line is EV's aren't necessarily bad, but based on Louis' and my own experiences I would only use them as a last resort.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2012 08:05 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ev chose to use 3 inch voice coil technology and JBL used 4 inch. JBL therefore could take 25% more power/ watts.

Tony I don't disagree with your findings, I am trying to stress that these differences in speakers technology sound is pretty subtle to the layman. I too have preferences to speakers that sound more realistic, but its not like dialogue intelligibility should not be perfect with any of the name brands.

BTW I know Louis would do a first class job [beer]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-06-2012 08:12 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And with the demands of today's digital soundtracks, that 25% is critical. [Smile]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-06-2012 08:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have EV surrounds. Out of 10 of them, I've only ever had to replace one tweeter. On two other ones, the tweeter quit working but I found that the wires had apparently vibrated off the drivers and they've worked fine ever since I fixed them. But I'm sure they don't have the full range awesomeness that the newer surround speakers have.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2012 08:26 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Tony but they were cheaper and more subs are always better [Smile]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-06-2012 09:19 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More subs, yes always better. [thumbsup]

But, cheaper is NOT always better.

Which would you rather do: Save a bit of money at initial purchase, then be caught up with replacing blown drivers and speakers, (along with the possible loss of attendance due to crappy sound), which represents additional costs (parts and labor); OR spend a bit more for equipment that won't fail unless some really odd catastrophic event happens (massive power surge or amp blowup.)

I would much rather spend even a few grand extra up front and not have to worry if my speakers can handle the normal wear and tear of the daily shows. [Wink]

Too many cinema folks (sadly, even on the projection side of the fence) try to cheap out on the most critical aspects of WHY you even open a cinema: TO SHOW MOVIES. The equipment to do that presentation should ALWAYS be the best one can afford. If you really need to save money, look to other, less critical areas: like lobby decor.

Remember this: without a quality presentation hitting the screens, all you will have is a very overpriced candy store. [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-06-2012 11:56 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EV uses smaller VCs as compared to JBL on both woofers and tweeters and as a certified EV, JBL (and others) reconer...the number of EV repairs to JBL is a landslide. EVs are almost always not up to the task. Their build quality is WAY below that of JBL (and others) EV's best woofer design was their EVX line and they even had to constantly play with that to get them to not self-destruct. But their final versions don't sound as good.

As to the DL-15W...yeah...it does go down because of its foam compliance...big deal...compare it to the JBL 2235 and the JBL wins a gain (also foam compliance). Both companies should be shot for sticking with foam when various rubbers would allow the lower f3 but without the deterioration of foam. JBL went away from offering the foam compliance drivers (2245 was superseded by the 2242 in the subwoofer department).

But more to the point, the DL15W is just a BAD sounding driver...I swear drums played on it sounds Tupperware. The DH1/DH1A was a NASTY sounding piece of crap...I know there are some that think it is the bees knees but I am flabbergasted as to how that can be. It does not sound natural to anything...it is a screechy sound piece of crap. Anyone that likes it has to have had some HF hearing loss because it is NASTY up in the higher frequencies.

Some of the EV stuff sounds better than others and JBL certainly has their clunkers out there too but I have never found that EV ever made an equivalent driver to a JBL where the EV wasn't a really poor comparison. The JBL 2206, 2226, 2242, 2446/2450 are just awesome drivers for what they do and EV has nothing in their league.

I normally don't post negative viewpoints but EV is one where I've had to leave a theatre because they just sound that bad...I can tell the make of the speaker just by listening to the movie...often right down to the drivers being used. A good speaker should not be so characteristically bad but EVs sound like EVs...not like what was recorded.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2012 11:36 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve I would find it hard to believe that anyone could tell the make of a speaker if it's a bad sounding room along with a bad EQ. Everything sounds shitty then.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-07-2012 04:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it...because I've done it (with witnesses) in a theatre I had never been in. The previews weren't on for a minute before I noted the brand of the speaker and the model! It was the EV TS940. It had the Tupperware DL15W bass with the painful DH1A driver...I wonder how anyone could NOT tell them...they don't sound natural.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-07-2012 06:46 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a good look at the DH1A on an RTA fairly close.. Looks like the down escalator. Bumpy.

Not a bad speaker for what it was. . . . the first exponential for cinema if it were 1970.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: