Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help required Dolby Cat.150D

Author Topic: Help required Dolby Cat.150D
Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2012 08:07 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a Cat.150D on my bench that works well, with output on all channels, but the LED on channel 4 does'nt work.
Diode measuring through this led is normal.
Don't have a schematic but would like to sort this out.
Anybody with a schematic out there, or technical suggestion?
Thank you for your attention!
R.

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-15-2012 09:25 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I remember it has a current limiting resistor. I would leave well enough alone as there are some high impedance components you are likely to damage.

Dolby stopped publishing schematics years back and in any case that does little to tell you where the part actually sits.

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2012 11:02 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The basic set-up should be simple like rectifying the audio
signal at some stage, or possibly indirectly stimulating a VCA.
Should be rather easy to repair when you know the basic circuitry.
Anyway, thanks for your response, Sam!

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2012 08:50 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it sometimes happens, the cure was relatively simple.
Took the boards apart and followed the signal path to the led.
Put my tweezers on the current reducer R to check and.... found one end of the resistor had'nt connected in the tin bath manufacturing process.
Problem solved.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: